Anyone got any review results yet?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

Re: Anyone got any review results yet?

Post by sherry_d »

Unless there is a significant increase in 11+ passes in our area, I think you have a good chance esp at Invicta. I understand your worries, I am having the same here. There is an Anglican comp 16miles away from here, most people seem to think we will be fine but I am worried that distance may just blow it for us. I have resigned to the fact that appeal may be the only other way.

Its going to be a looooong wait for us Team D until 1 March :lol: :lol: :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

What was your Indie option, Sherry?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Benenden and Kings Rochester. Not particularly keen on the later.

Benenden first round out next week but having been knocked twice before its hard to stay positive even though the tests are different. She will then need to pass scholarship tests in Jan for us to get some financial help. I am clutching at straws. If it comes through then then I will be one very happy mother but for now I have to look at whats within my means - the state comps!
Impossible is Nothing.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

TeamD wrote:Hi guys,

Just got the review results and her work wasn't good enough. What now??!! I'm really confused, I only have 4 choices for CAF and I don't know what to put down now.

Please help!!!
Assumed you were Medway. Don't you have six choices?
TeamD

Post by TeamD »

Hi dadofkent

Yes, I'm Medway. I thought it was 4 choices for Medway and 6 for Kent?? Have I got it the wrong way round all this time???!!

If it's 6 places, then it's easier but I think I've jeopardised our chances of Medway appeals by following HT's advice. But, at least I can then put both Kent Grammars on our CAF - thanks! I'll check that now!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi teamd

With 6 choices you will be fine, it is ridiculous that the review was not upheld - 401 on the kent test is an excellent score. Did her english let her down on the medway one?

If i was in your situation i would put invicta first, i think you stand a great chance of getting in. You could put MGGs first if you prefered it, and invicta second, then if mggs are over-subscribed(probably will be) it will get sent to invicta(they wont know they are second). I think they will accept your dd. You said you were going to speak to them, did you?

With a failed review your only realistic chance out of the medway grammars is chatham girls - they often take those with a failed review. HE who cant be named would give you a better idea about this.

Then in 4th place you can put realistic comps.

Thats about it teamd - shame about the review but you are lucky in that she passed the kent test and if for some reason she didnt get invicta on first allocation you could put forward an over subscription appeal.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

Sherry - how about Highsted? An excellent grammar, score of 401 means she's well qualified and she could get the train to Sittingbourne, depending on where you live. I hear they have girls there from Bexley and Eltham, so you should not be too far!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

testbuster wrote:Sherry - how about Highsted? An excellent grammar, score of 401
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Team D I am sure that was for you. :D

Testbuster my DD didnt pass either test. It would have been nice to have such a good score.
Impossible is Nothing.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

Sorry, just dipped in and didn't read the whole thing properly. Oops!
TeamD

Post by TeamD »

Thanks tiredmum - I am thinking about putting both MGGS and Invicta on my CAF, although I'm aware that there is less chance of getting MGGS. Tbh, I would be really happy with either school.

I spoke to admissions at both MGGS and Invicta. MGGS basically said that I had no chance of getting my dd a place there as they are so oversubscribed (but thought I could appeal?). Invicta said that they cannot guarantee I'd get a place but it is certainly possible depending on the number of applicants.

As I have 6 choices, I thought I may as well use them! Chatham Grammar is another definite for the CAF as it has been undersubscribed in the past and like you said tiredmum it's probably my only option for Medway. My dd scored really well on VR and Maths, it was the English which let her down.

Also, is there any point in putting down FP? Is there a chance that we could get in on appeal?

I don't want to sound stupid, but who is "HE"? Tiredmum, could you please pm me?

Many thanks,
TeamD