Who is appealing for Fort Pitt then?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

Re: Who is appealing for Fort Pitt then?

Post by tiredmum »

The head at FP certainly dosnt want any more, she had to take 8 over PAN last year - roughly 5 were siblings who had not been offered in the first place and only 3 on appeal. She is determined not to go back to their original PAN of 150 even though they clearly have room. You may be luckier with RGS as they do go 8-10 over PAN most years and are not so adamant that they cant take on appeal. The school rep encouraged us to appeal last year and i beleive their are fewer appeals this year, though i dont know the numbers for sure. With a failed review you have to convince the panel first that the review process was unfair. Its a tricky business, but you say you have the Ombudsman involved?
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

tiredmum wrote:The head at FP certainly dosnt want any more, she had to take 8 over PAN last year - roughly 5 were siblings who had not been offered in the first place and only 3 on appeal. She is determined not to go back to their original PAN of 150 even though they clearly have room. You may be luckier with RGS as they do go 8-10 over PAN most years and are not so adamant that they cant take on appeal. The school rep encouraged us to appeal last year and i beleive their are fewer appeals this year, though i dont know the numbers for sure. With a failed review you have to convince the panel first that the review process was unfair. Its a tricky business, but you say you have the Ombudsman involved?
I wouldn't be surprised if RGS go as many as 15 over PAN as they are going to increase their PAN by 15 for the 2012 intake anyway.

I have my fingers crossed they do!!!

FP say they can't fill a whole extra class and running a part filled class is uneconomical which is prob true!
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

medwaymix wrote:Just popped back to wish you all well with your appeals to FP. We aren't going to appeal now, we have no real points to make really except we liked it more than the others not really a valid approach. Aren't taking up RG going independent. Anyway we're out of the equation good luck ruby. Thanks to all on here.
mm
Were you one of the 30 potential appeals, MM?

Which indies - Kings or Gad's or other?

Thanks for letting us know ***
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Angrymum357 wrote:Just got some papers from FP re our appeal did anyone else get them ?? Because reading between the lines it seemed like the Head was saying there is no chance !! Anyone else get that feeling ?? Still I guess nothing ventured and all that !
Yes, we got them yesterday - and like you, found it feels like a mountain to climb. Still, we're in it now so we must continue...feels like a VERY long shot though :(

Have you submitted all your dox yet? I haven't !!

Still no dates for RGS?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if RGS go as many as 15 over PAN as they are going to increase their PAN by 15 for the 2012 intake anyway.

I have my fingers crossed they do!!!!
Their PAN is 165 - i was told they are increasing in to 175, but do you think its too 180?
They wont necessarily take 15 just because they have appeals. Last year there were about 30 appeals and they only took 8, even though in my appeal i had questioned the school rep and got her to aggree that they could take 10 or more without a problem
rubyhettybetty wrote: FP say they can't fill a whole extra class and running a part filled class is uneconomical which is prob true!
Hasnt she got enough to fill another class? Do you know how many actual over-sub appeals they have, that would also include those who have a sucessful review?
I know last year she had practically enough over-subs to fill another class but didnt want to :(
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Their PAN is 165 - i was told they are increasing in to 175, but do you think its too 180?
They wont necessarily take 15 just because they have appeals. Last year there were about 30 appeals and they only took 8, even though in my appeal i had questioned the school rep and got her to aggree that they could take 10 or more without a problem

Yes - it's in the Cabinet report of the 15th Feb regarding the 2011 exam - the 180 will be 6 full classes...
rubyhettybetty wrote: FP say they can't fill a whole extra class and running a part filled class is uneconomical which is prob true!
Hasnt she got enough to fill another class? Do you know how many actual over-sub appeals they have, that would also include those who have a sucessful review?
I know last year she had practically enough over-subs to fill another class but didnt want to :([/quote]

Well, if there are 30 appeals - I know at least one is appealing for both FP & RGS with FP 2nd choice, so she wouldn't get a whole class of 30 by the time it had shaken down. Don't forget there are over 70 fewer girls who passed the 11+ this year, it's a strange year for numbers of girls!! Next year if it reverts back to normal then it will be much tougher to get in...
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Medway Mix - just thought - have you checked where you are on the waiting list? I wouldn't give up on FP just yet!!!
Angrymum357

Post by Angrymum357 »

Just been and handed our dox into FP and RGS. Lady at RGS said they have 22 appeals so fingers and everything else crossed I think. Sadly my daughter has set her heart on FP but I think chances are slim so RGS is our second choice..all the best everyone lets enjoy Easter hols before real stress sets in !! x
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Angrymum357 wrote:Just been and handed our dox into FP and RGS. Lady at RGS said they have 22 appeals so fingers and everything else crossed I think. Sadly my daughter has set her heart on FP but I think chances are slim so RGS is our second choice..all the best everyone lets enjoy Easter hols before real stress sets in !! x
What school were you offered, AM? Can you tell me what dates the RGS appeals are? At least you'll get a pratice run at the appeal!

Have you tried ringing Medway Admissions to see where you are on the waiting list?
Angrymum357

Post by Angrymum357 »

RGS are on 26-28 April..my DD failed by 4 so were offered Thomas Aveling but because of extentuating circs def feel we have to appeal, as you say RGS could be a practice run for us. How long do you have to accept a place if your appeal is successful ?? Obv FP is our DDs number one but if we are by some minor miracle successful at RGS can we hold on to see how FP goes before we accept ?? I can't wait until all this is over , at least my youngest is only in YR3 at moment...x