Visiting schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mummblesmum

Visiting schools

Post by mummblesmum »

Hi

Now we have the results I suppose I need to go look at some schools!! Can anyone advise how this process works. There are some open morning sessions coming up. Do I need to book a place or just turn up? Also is it normal to take your DC out of school for the morning visits?

Thanks guys :D
ausvic

Re: Visiting schools

Post by ausvic »

Each school has its own system. You will need to check on the individual school websites. I know at Rainham Mark there is an open evening on Thursday and open morning on Saturday. You can then book a session to look around the school the following week or so. When my DS's were looking around their junior school accepted that year 6 children would be visting senior schools during the school day. :)
mummblesmum

Post by mummblesmum »

Thanks for your reply ausvic.

I have now had a look at the relevant websites. I see Rochester Grammar has an open morning on Saturday and also sessions to look around the school the following week. Are the open days different to just looking round the school - do I need to do both?

Sorry for all the daft questions :D
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Some people like to visit the school on a 'normal' school day rather than the showcase open morning ...
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

Open evenings/days are a good chance to look around the school and talk to the pupils who go there. It can however be quite chaotic with loads of parents/children looking around but I think worth it to get the 'feel' of the school from the pupils that attend. I felt it was also then good to go on a visit during a normal working day to see how the school feels on a 'proper day' with the pupils in their lessions. At the end of the day you and your child will get the feel for the right school :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now