Kent test for Chatham grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Samlet

Kent test for Chatham grammars

Post by Samlet »

Now that both Chatham grammars are to accept a Kent test pass, I am wondering whether there will be a general move for all Medway DC to take the Kent test too as a safety net.

My DS took the Kent as well as Medway and scored better as he is stronger in maths and VR/NVR. But I wasn't planning to put my DD in for it as she is stronger in English than Maths and I suspect she wouldn't take so quickly to NVR. But now I am not so sure ...
Opalmoon

Re: Kent test for Chatham grammars

Post by Opalmoon »

Samlet, when you say 'both', do you mean girls and boys? Does that mean all grammar schools in Medway will be adopting this policy? It's all too late for us unfortunately with first child, DS passed Kent but narrowly missed Medway. :( We did both, because until we researched it, we had no idea there were two tests, and I consider myself 'Kentish', not 'Medwayish'! Funny though, the area of 'Kent' I was born in, is now Bromley/ London! :lol:

I wonder why they are doing it, does anyone know? The frustrating thing is, after DS failed, we were told not to bother appealing, as school were not willing to back him up. However, with the new format, he might still have been deemed selective to get in a Medway school! :roll:
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

I do mean girls and boys - I've read the boys admission document and he who must not be named says that it is the same for Chatham girls. I think the reason they are doing it is simply to give them access to greater numbers, as both schools are usually undersubscribed. I know that the boys have spaces this year in Y7 and that they have at least one boy coming (often late) all the way from London :shock: :shock: . And when children who fail the Medway test later manage to get reassessed in Y7 or Y8, it is always the Chatham grammars which have space. Not because they are much worse, but there are falling numbers in Medway at this age group and also from some areas the Chatham schools are a bit less accessible. But it does only seem to be these two schools - the others have no trouble filling their spaces, so no reason to change. And as they are all academies now, they can all go their own way.

As I said before, my DS sat the Kent, but with the Kent practice test which is offered to OOC, he took three tests on three successive Saturdays with Medway last. He passed, but it was a real slog, so it isn't a simple decision. Especially as I have just realised that with the Medway test going back into schools, it is quite likely that to take the Kent as well would mean taking the Kent test on either the Saturday immediately preceding or immediately following the week in which they take the Medway on Tuesday and Wednesday. :(

Hope your son is doing well wherever he is :) But if you still want a Medway GS for him, it might be worth talking to Chatham boys.
Opalmoon

Post by Opalmoon »

Thanks Samlet. I have heard a few mentions that we might be able to appeal and get him into CG, but, d'you know what? I'm happy with what he's got. I've got a good feeling about it. :) It would be far easier from where we live right now, and we might be being foolish, but we are seriously considering moving anyway, so I see it as fate and it was meant to be. I don't think OH and I are robust enough to survive an appeal!

I really wish it was one test for all of Kent without these separations. We had similar to you, three weekends of tests, and I think DS actually ran out of steam by the time we got to the Medway test! It was his choice though. He too is stronger in Maths/VR/NVR, but I feel my girls will be different as well. :? Our Medway school will not be testing in school unfortunately, so if we stay here, I expect nothing much will change for us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now