Just thinking!!! Help please x

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Moostersmum

Re: Just thinking!!! Help please x

Post by Moostersmum »

Just had a call from them. Apparently they are moderating today which is standard procedure. They will moderate DD's but it's just kind of remarked following their strict criteria along with all the other papers they have pulled out.

They look at disparities between scores eg High VR score and low Written Assessment score. I wasn't too clear on hat happens next. She did say they were still moderating and may not get to me till tomorrow. :(

Cut off was 509 so yes neck well and truly on line......
Moostersmum

Post by Moostersmum »

To cut a very long story short. DD now been awarded 15 extra marks on extended writing so double that is 30! Now has a pass way above RGS cut off so very happy ***
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

That's great news!! Well done for being brave - you must be so relieved.
Moostersmum

Post by Moostersmum »

monstermum wrote:That's great news!! Well done for being brave - you must be so relieved.
Can't tell you how relieved. Actually felt ill last night. Now bring on the Kent Test!!!!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Fantastic news! I was worried for you, so glad it worked out :D

I do wonder a bit about the marking of the English task - it is done very quickly :?
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

So will you be at RGS on Saturday? We need a secret squirrel signal :lol:
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

We should all wear a red carnation!!
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Hi thats great news Moostersmum and good luck on saturday.

It also leads to me to think thats quite a big mark up (with doubling) and what is Medway's marking scheme and checking of the creative writing piece. I know they have strict guidelines that they mark against but its still someones opinion. Our DS's weakest subject was creative writing and we had not done a lot of preparation as concentrating on Kent test and it was his weakest score (107) but still a pass :-). When I told him his creative score he was a bit disappointed as he was really excited at what he had written and it sounded great to me (although I am an engineer graduate and English has never been my strongest subject).

But really happy that it has turned out the best for you and your DD :-)
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

It also makes me think about failures by what are considered a 'larger' margin. With doubling and age standardisation, a couple of missed questions can be enough to make for a fail.

I remember someone explaining to me how one question wrong could translate into 6 marks lost in the final figure, and I have always tried to emphasise that to my DCs. But similarly, a rushed marking of the English paper could achieve the same result. I wonder how many markers they have, to mark c700 - 800 scripts in around two weeks?

Just goes to show what a blunt instrument the test is, and how little we should read into the marks.

Just very grateful mine are through - we need a 'phew' emoticon, as well as a nail-biting one.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Moostersmum wrote:To cut a very long story short. DD now been awarded 15 extra marks on extended writing so double that is 30! Now has a pass way above RGS cut off so very happy ***
Very pleased to hear this news!
Delighted for you and, of course, your DD.:D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now