11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Re: Just thinking!!! Help please x

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Fantastic Moostermum. How brave of you to make the call to have it remarked! :D
Moostersmum

Post by Moostersmum »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Fantastic Moostermum. How brave of you to make the call to have it remarked! :D
Wouldn't call it brave - I'd call it stupid as she had a pass and so easily then had a fail.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Yes everyone I'll be there tomorrow morning! Probably find all my stress was for nothing when DD announces she doesn't like it and doesn't want to go there :? :? :!: :!:
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

My DD went to a taster evening last term and was really taken by it. They laid on a good show last year for the open day too. Lots of very interactive activities - not just in science, which I was impressed by.

Interested to hear your feedback after - what is your DD into?
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Ok, my thoughts (while I can still remember them) on RGS after the open day.

All the girls we spoke to, especially our guide were friendly, articulate, courteous and confident without being cocky. They seemed to interact with their teachers in a very positive, mutually respectful way. I was very impressed by what we saw in terms of the 'show-off' open day stuff, but also by the organisation of the event and the pride and enthusiasm of girls and staff during the morning. My daughter loved the drama - pity it is only available as a club in Yr 7 and Yr 8, the music, languages and English.

My only niggle is that it is strange that you take two languages in Yr7, then drop one in Yr8 (even if you want to continue it to GCSE), then pick it up again in Yr9. Also Latin only from Yr9, so zero to GCSE in three years - appreciate that won't be of interest to everyone though, but I suspect my DD may be a linguist. Initially I was told that it wasn't possible to do two languages plus Latin for GCSE, but the headmaster (no less!) confirmed that it would be possible.

I now realise that I forgot to ask about whether they are still doing accelerated GCSEs for top set Maths and English - did anyone else find this out?

All in all it was a big thumbs up from us 8) :D
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

We were very impressed. The school felt right. Everyone we met was friendly and interested in talking to us and our DD. I could see her fitting straight in and loving it. I loved the way the lessons were tailored to the girls' interests e.g in tech making doll's furniture and in MFL teaching through the use of the Mr. Men books. I also liked the fact that the school embraces the thinking skills philosophy. It felt like the girls would be pushed with high expectations but with interesting lessons using gel pens lol (my DD's favourite). The facilities were good and everywhere was modern but traditional, which we liked. A third of the girls going to R.G unis was impressive. The only thing we don't like is the journey as if she passes Kent she could get to MGGS in 10 mins even allowing for dawdling! Rainham Mark to see yet and then the Maidstone schools if she passes Kent. Feeling sick now at the prospect of having to choose. Did think the HT was funny when I asked about girls coming from Maidstone and he said they come all the way up the hill :lol: Good to be in this position though :D
penguin

Post by penguin »

Well done Moostersmum. I think you do deserve a congrats for sticking to your guns . You've proved you were right about your daughter's ability