ADVICE, HELP PLEASE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FAVOUR

ADVICE, HELP PLEASE

Post by FAVOUR »

lives in sittingbourne but I would like son to sit medway test cos of transportation issues. However, I have been told that for RMGS at Rainham, this school has to be the first option on our form as they do not consider second choices even if he passes cut off point. Is this true, can anyone pls tell me what the recent cut of points for Rainham Mark GS have been.
Also is it advisable to put Borden grammar as second choice even though we live in Kent and when he passes, will he be given a space automatically,

Please help.
Cheers
x 11 plus parent

RM Cut off

Post by x 11 plus parent »

Rainham Mark cut off for 2007 was 519, the pass mark.
katel

Post by katel »

Bear in mind the journey time - if you live in Sittingbourne couldn't your sone walk to Borden? My dd has an hour journey to school every day - she loves the school, but the journey is a big chunk out of her day.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Medway has abolished what is effectively first preference first and gone to an equal preference scheme as Kent. In other words, Rainham Mark will decide if you are eligible solely on the scores, not on the position in the Common Application form.

Rainham Mark did not fill in March last year and so offered places on a bare pass mark. Rolls in Medway primary schools continue to fall, so there should not be more pressure this year.

In other words, if you put Borden and Rainham Mark as first and second in some order and he passes both, he will go to the first on your list. If he passes just one he will go to that one. If he passes neither he may go to the third choice if non selective (but both Fulston and Westlands were oversubscribed last year and SCC is close to being so as it increases in popularity - so it depends on where you live).

If he passes neither, you do of course have the opportunity to appeal, chances of success being better in Kent than Medway depending on scores.

Did we meet at Borden Open Evening last week, when I was providing independent education advice on school admission issues?
reddebs

2 Offers of a school place?

Post by reddebs »

Hi Peter
I am in a similar situation - and have a daughter down to sit Medway then Kent - I thought that last year if a child passed both that 2 offers of a school were given - 1 from each county a choice then had to be made as to which one to take.
This was confirmed by parents and Rainham Mark.

Would be interested to know if anyone else thought this too.
Deb
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Deb,

Sorry you have been wrongly informed.

The rules are quite clear and will be stated in both the Kent and Medway admissions prospectuses: Kent on Page 18; Medway on Page 8. Children will be offered exactly one school place on 3rd March (online) or 4th March by post (assuming no postal strike). This has applied for some years. I continue to worry about misinformation given by schools - ***********clarifies many of these issues.

The school offered, whether you live in Kent or Medway, whether you have applied for schools in one or both authorities, is the highest one on your list for which you are eligible, which is why it is important that Medway families must this year put all grammar schools first (last year, most put a non selective school first equal under the old system that no longer applies).

Edited by Moderator, advertising breaks forum rules.
74guest

Post by 74guest »

Peter,
I have checked out your website - very useful! I would like some advice: I am a Kent mother, my d is sitting the Medway 11+, and we would like to put Fort Pitt, then a Kent school, then a comprehensive. If my d passes, what are the chances she would be offered the 1st choice Fort Pitt? We live in Higham.
Would be v. grateful for an opinion, as other parents I know are putting 2 Grammars.
Peter

Post by Peter »

If your daughter passes the Medway test and you have Fort Pitt first, then she will be offered a place there (the capacity of the school has been higher than the number of girls eligible for many years).
Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

Peter , if we only put 2 Grammar schools on the list , will my daughter definitely get into one of those , or is it best to put another , even though we are not keen for her to go to the other one ?

Thats if she passes , life will be much simpler if she doesn't :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

Anne, you don't say if you live in Kent or Medway, the answer is different depending!