School Choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bright eyes

School Choice

Post by bright eyes »

I have seen several schools mentioned in recent posts. Does anyone have any views on Fort Pitt? It's not been mentioned yet.
Thank you.
BE
Belinda

Re: School Choice

Post by Belinda »

Best for you and DD to go and visit the school and see for yourself. :D
I have friends whose DD's have been there and they have all been very happy and successful and gone to uni's of their choice.
Secondary schools (and teenagers) all have their up and down years. Fort Pitt, to my knowledge, is a good, successful school.
Hope that helps. :D
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hi bright eyes

The recent discussions you've probably read involved people who live outside Medway but were considering their Medway options. Particularly for those coming from Maidstone, there is interest in RGS and Rainham Mark because they take on marks not distance and are accessible by bus. So no reflection on Fort Pitt :)
bright eyes

Post by bright eyes »

Thank you for your replies.

We have visited Belinda, twice, and were blown away. We couldn't understand why others weren't talking about it and consequently started to doubt ourselves.

Thank you Samlet for explaining about "Medway options" for non-Medway people.

Saw other parents this morning at DD's school and was pleased to say they felt the same as us about Fort Pitt, hopefully we will all get in.

I guess it's this whole process that sort of breeds self doubt and concern.

Good luck all with your choices of school, we're all sorted now :D

BE x
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My dd is in year 11 at Fort Pitt and we cannot say a negative thing about the school. We feel the school combines the right amount of pastoral care with academic achievement. She has already 10 gcses under her belt from year 10 and is taking some more this year along with AS levels. She has been extremely happy there. The organisation of the school is second to none. Personally, I cannot recommend it enough. That said, I do have to say I have friends with children in other medway schools who are pleased as well.
I always say 'go with your gut instinct' once you have viewed all the schools - your child will no doubt get excited by one more than the rest.
Good luck all.
bright eyes

Post by bright eyes »

Thank you Medwaymum. Gut instinct is right, I know, but you always feel like you need affirmation during this whole rather stressful process. It was lovely to read your post, we are a very happy household here, thank you again. :D
bright eyes
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi bright eyes, no problem, I know exactly what you mean! :D
Brora

Post by Brora »

My DD has just gone into year 8 at Fort Pitt. We were overjoyed to get a place, living in the Rainham area we were not sure we would get in. Two years on from making our choice I would definitely recommend the school, the communications with parents is excellent, the system of the children being in a Form Group along with others from all the school years is a really good one, and the school support system is good. She is happy, and has a good circle of friends. I have learnt that the acute anxiety I felt whilst waiting for a place to be offered was not necessary. My friends who have children at Chatham Grammar and Rainham Mark are equally happy, and my elder DD who did not take the eleven plus has just gone into year 11 at Rainham Girls with six GCSEs including maths and english under her belt, all As and Bs. But when I pick DD up from Fort Pitt and sit in the carpark overlooking the river and all the green space the school has, and when I go into the building itself, I still feel what a privilege it is for her to be educated in such a fantastic environment, and keep telling her how lucky she is to be there.
bright eyes

Post by bright eyes »

Thank you too Brora that is a wonderful advert for the school and reflects the feelings we had when we visited. It felt such a happy place to be. We are very lucky that we won't have to worry about getting in as it is less than a mile from our house so I am fairly sure we won't have to go through what you had to two years ago waiting to see if you were offered a place.
Best wishes
bright eyes -> hopefully a Fort Parent next September :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now