The role of the primary school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

Did you get your letter today , Georgina ?
georgina

Post by georgina »

yes i did recieve the letter today,thank god
gu3st

Post by gu3st »

I don't know whether to feel better or annoyed that there are other schools out there with the attitude to 11+ as my child's school.
My major problem is this: EVERYONE knows that all children are tutored in some way, even if its just doing practice papers so why then do the school insist that you should not even do more than one or two test papers in the fortnight leading up to the exam - for most children this would not simply be enough.
If everybody gave up tutoring then yes this would be a fair point but the reality is that this simply isn't going to happen.
I understand that schools cant and shouldnt coach for the exam but a bit of support between teacher/parents cant be wrong, can it?
I am lucky that my child's year 6 teacher is supportive and has already offered to make an appeal based on evidence of work done - I'm not sure what it's worth but I am VERY grateful for the act of support.
Rant over for me, deep breaths... 1...2...3........10 there all better! :)
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

The only reason i knew about the practice paper's is because i have an older daughter who went through the process 4 years ago . At that time all the children were having individual interviews with the head , who advised us about getting a tutor , who in turn told us about nfer papers.
The parents this year have been told nothing , so if you dont have older children or friends who know the system , you really are on your own.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi All,

I'm from Bexley and agree completely with what you have been saying about the lack of support for the 11+ whereas the Sats get full attention.
Well not from me they don't!

If the schools back the children in doing the best they can for the 11+ then the parents will back the schools re the Sats.

Feeling at our school is running so high after last year's 11+ fiasco (poor results from well-gifted children - this was proved with high Sats results later on) that parents are prepared to take their sibling kids out of school for this year's Sats! That's parent power!

I wouldn't personally advise this but the 11+ system stinks. If you are not priviledged to know of a family who has gone through it all and can show you the ropes then the schools will leave you completely in the dark. Any meagre advice comes in year 6 when it's all but too late to do anything about it. It's not on!
gu3st

Post by gu3st »

couldn't agree more!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now