The role of the primary school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
georgina

The role of the primary school

Post by georgina »

hi everyone,
ive been told that the primary school givs advice on whether a child shpould be entered for a selection test,however i have repeatedly asked my daughters school for any input and i have met a brick wall all the time what do i do
any advice welcome.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

what year is she in?

Most schools have a parents evening at the beginning of year 6 to talk about secondary school choices. If a child has a statement of special needs then the secondary choice is discussed at the Annual Review of the statement in year 5.
nearly-there

Post by nearly-there »

have you spoken to your child's friends parents to find out if anybody has been told? the form had to be in at the end of september to apply for the 11+ in medway - did you do this?
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

I had an appointment with my daughter's teacher last night . Though my daughter got a very good report , i came out feeling very annoyed ( i'm being polite) . The school are just not at all interested in the 11+ , it was like getting blood out of a stone . I really feel like the onus is all on me , to get my daughter through.
The teacher has actually told the children that the 11+ isn't important , and the SATS are what matters.
To top it all , we were given a letter for a SATS meeting on 31st October , .to illustrate questions that will be asked, they are not until May , where as 11+ is 2 weeks away . I know it's very childish , but i tore it up & put it in the bin . I feel if the school can not support the children through the 11+ , then why should i be interested in the SATS.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I don't think schools are allowed to help with 11+ I may be wrong.

What SATs levels did she have in y5? Top 4s or better still 5s would mean that she should be capable. Is she the sort of child who would function well in a grammar school environment?

If so then I would say enter her and see how goes.
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

It's not just that they won't support the children , they wouldn't answer general questions either .
I wanted to know , if we would be getting a letter confirming , we had applied for our daughter to take the test , and would we be sent information on the time she had to be there , & what to take . I was told to phone the LEA. The letter came home tonight , i really think the teacher could of just said , yes , in due course , or shown some interest.

Anyway , rant over , i've got my letter , i can calm down now :)
georgina

Post by georgina »

Thanx for all of the responses its very comforting to know that i am not the only one with this dilemma.Anyway she is working at level 5 and i have been working very hard with her since year 4 and now she seems to be doing okay,its a pity that schools are not realy interested when most of the teachers themselves are probably grammar school products and are probably seeing to it that their children get into grammar.Such hypocracy at times.
I did send in the form for medway but i still have not recieved a response,what do you suggest should i guve them a call.Thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

can I just point out that not all teachers are the same. Most of theyear 6 teachers I have worked with have been really supportive and genuinely want the best place for the children. ....
malcemm

Medway Test / 11+

Post by malcemm »

Just for the record teachers can indicate whether your child is capable of the medway tests based on year reports as stated in an earlier post 5's should do it. But the teachers are not allowed advise about the test, but shoudl be able to say whether your child can enter.My daughters school held an open evening to discuss this and have been very supportive.

The medway council booklet on schools should have had a form in the back and we have just had a hand delivered letter confirming time and place of the test. If you have not had this by now get in touch with someone urgently as half term is looming and our wonderful post men are still striking !

Good luck I hope all your efforts are rewarded.
georgina

Post by georgina »

Well i will say that you are lucky that your daughters school is so supportive.Anyway the day of reckoning is coming soon,i will be in touch with the LEA today to find out about the exam info.Thanx anyway.