Gravesend to Rochester Grammar School/Commute

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RochelleaDee

Gravesend to Rochester Grammar School/Commute

Post by RochelleaDee »

Hello all,

My DD has decided she prefers RGS to Mayfield! I am quite pleased about that as she scored high and is really academic.

Now, to the main worry! - Can anyone please share their experience with the commute to RGS from Gravesend? I know there is a bus from Lions garage, but do all the children get seats? both to school and back? Journey times and any other useful info?

Other new RGS mum's, I'd be happy to connect!

Please help an anxious mum out :? Thank you so much.
lefol

Re: Gravesend to Rochester Grammar School/Commute

Post by lefol »

Can she not travel by train? I would have thought it would be quicker.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Try this link

http://www.11-19travel.info/site40.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Kent travel options.

There is also another one on the Medway council site but I can't paste the link, I think I just googled "Gravesend to Rochester Grammar by bus".

Sorry not to be more specific but you will know what bus stops are nearest to you / most convenient.

Good luck and well done to your dd.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
RochelleaDee

Post by RochelleaDee »

Thank you for your responses Lefol and Doodles.

Lefol: She'd still have to take a bus from the train station hence my thinking taking just one school bus would work better logistically.

Doodles: Thanks for the link! You're a star :D Very helpful.

I was hoping to also hear from parents who's girls take the bus.

Thanks everyone. This forum makes all the difference :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't worry, I'm sure that there will be plenty of girls and boys doing the same journey and it will become a good part of her social life. My sons now turn down the offer of a lift into school preferring to take the bus, except sometimes if it's raining !
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Mumx4

Post by Mumx4 »

RochelleaDee wrote:Hello all,

My DD has decided she prefers RGS to Mayfield! I am quite pleased about that as she scored high and is really academic.

Now, to the main worry! - Can anyone please share their experience with the commute to RGS from Gravesend? I know there is a bus from Lions garage, but do all the children get seats? both to school and back? Journey times and any other useful info?

Other new RGS mum's, I'd be happy to connect!

Please help an anxious mum out :? Thank you so much.
Hi RochelleaDee

Apologies for the late reply - just seeing this. My daughter is currently in Year 9 and has been using the bus from Lions Garage to Rochester Grammar (Bus 668 Lions Garage).

I've just asked her to recap on her experiences:

Departs Lions Garage: 7:34am Arrives RGS: 8:10
Departs RGS: 15:30 Arrives Lions Garage 16:05
The main traffic experienced is on the Rochester Bridge

In the morning all the children get seats, some boys from the Rochester Maths use the bus service as well - although the majority of students are attend RGS.

After school - sometimes she says you might get children who hitch a ride on the bus if they find that their bus is late. You might have instances where children have to stand on the bus.

Generally the bus arrives on time in the mornings, but there have been times when it has arrived late (for instance this Monday was foggy, so the children arrived 10 mins late.

If a bus breaks down, Arriva usually arranges for an alternative bus to transport the children.

I hope I have helped in someway, I know the response is quite late. The children do form friendships with the commute and my daughter hasn't had any complaints.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now