Medway Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Anand76

Medway Grammar Schools

Post by Anand76 »

I understand this may be too early to ask, We live outside the Catchment area and scored 580. Do you think this is enough? Which grammar school should I aim in Medway?
ToadMum

Re: Medway Grammar Schools

Post by ToadMum »

Anand76 wrote:I understand this may be too early to ask, We live outside the Catchment area and scored 580. Do you think this is enough? Which grammar school should I aim in Medway?
Medway council has a handy school look-up facility on its website. The basic set of info that is displayed for each school in the search results includes the oversubscription criteria for the current admissions round.

http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/scho ... r-a-school

It is linked to from the same page where one registers one's DC to take the Medway Test.

http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/scho ... edway-test
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

IF you've got a boy and you live outside Medway the score is pretty fruitless to be honest as they operate on distance. If you have a girl and she is very academic and prepared to work hard the RGS would almost definitely take that score
Anand76

Post by Anand76 »

I have a daughter and she scored 580. We live outside the catchment area. Please advise if there are chances to get the RGS school.
Thirdandthree

Post by Thirdandthree »

Yes im sure with that score, she can take my daughters place like all the other girls I pass on my way to work every morning, that I see trudge up the hill from the station, often late for school and looking exhausted and miserable before the school day has even started! Sorry to be blunt but very true.
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

[quote="Thirdandthree"]Yes im sure with that score, she can take my daughters place like all the other girls I pass on my way to work every morning, that I see trudge up the hill from the station, often late for school and looking exhausted and miserable before the school day has even started! Sorry to be blunt but very true.[/quote]

Wow
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Did you apply to RGS in the end?

According to another website very few out of county children who pass are offered places, with even fewer taking them up.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sparklecat wrote:Did you apply to RGS in the end?

According to another website very few out of county children who pass are offered places, with even fewer taking them up.
Unless the OP is lurking un-logged-in, s/he hasn't been back since the end of October to this or any of their other threads in various grammar school areas, to indicate whether an application was made.

If you are lurking, Anand76, it would be nice to hear which schools you put as preferences in the end. Some of us did actually offer you sensible advice, not just opprobrium.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

Oh is that true? I thought RGS took entirely on score?

[quote="Sparklecat"]Did you apply to RGS in the end?

According to another website very few out of county children who pass are offered places, with even fewer taking them up.[/quote]
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

gravesendgal wrote:Oh is that true? I thought RGS took entirely on score?
Sparklecat wrote:Did you apply to RGS in the end?

No mention of distance here, only score

http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/scho ... mar-school

Perhaps Sparklecat meant, are offered places, as in 'this being the school that the child is actually allocated on national allocations day', rather than, 'this child is one who would have come high enough up the school'sranked list to be offered a place, should they have placed it above any others for which they also qualified'? That is, that a place was actually allocated by the girl's LEA, but was rejected for a higher ranked state school or an indie?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now