Medway Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sparklecat

Re: Medway Grammar Schools

Post by Sparklecat »

ToadMum wrote:Perhaps Sparklecat meant
Perhaps I meant exactly what I wrote.

According to another excellent website, many London children take the 11+ in Kent and Medway (and a variety of locations around the M25). Most are not offered places. Of those that are, even fewer take them up. There are a variety of reasons for this, such as the practicality of travelling, or London parents using our exam resources as a mock for their own area's test.
ctc123

Post by ctc123 »

We are in the catchment area and my daughter passed the Medway test, however, she has not been able to secure a place at a grammar school as they are all full. She was on the RGS w/l to the end of last year. There were over 70 girls on this list! Clearly there are not enough grammar school places in Medway and she is stuck at a.comp.that does not meet her education needs.
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

Wow I am really shocked to hear this, I was always under the impression that there were surplus places at Medway GSs
olucares

Post by olucares »

ctc123 wrote:We are in the catchment area and my daughter passed the Medway test, however, she has not been able to secure a place at a grammar school as they are all full. She was on the RGS w/l to the end of last year. There were over 70 girls on this list! Clearly there are not enough grammar school places in Medway and she is stuck at a.comp.that does not meet her education needs.
Also surprised to hear this, as I personally know many ooc that got into Medway grammars last year. Are you sure your CAF was submitted online on time, I ask because I know someone affected by this, she didn't realise she didn't click submit. Did you pick Chatham Girls. Information by Medway council states that Chatham Girls were undersubscribed on offer day last year, hence why I am surprised.
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

[quote="olucares"][quote="ctc123"]We are in the catchment area and my daughter passed the Medway test, however, she has not been able to secure a place at a grammar school as they are all full. She was on the RGS w/l to the end of last year. There were over 70 girls on this list! Clearly there are not enough grammar school places in Medway and she is stuck at a.comp.that does not meet her education needs.[/quote]

Also surprised to hear this, as I personally know many ooc that got into Medway grammars last year. Are you sure your CAF was submitted online on time, I ask because I know someone affected by this, she didn't realise she didn't click submit. Did you pick Chatham Girls. Information by Medway council states that Chatham Girls were undersubscribed on offer day last year, hence why I am surprised.[/quote]

Be interesting to see responce
ctc123

Post by ctc123 »

Yes CAF was submitted on time. Chatham grammar has no availability when we checked after wait list closed in December. We were 2nd on list for Fort Pitt. Have now moved to a Kent comp school where she is exceeding her grades. Very disappointed with the whole process.
Matti38

Post by Matti38 »

Hi,

My daughter will be attending RGS in September, but we live in Gravesend and I was hoping to hear from those with daughters already attending the school commuting from Gravesend and also from those with daughters who will be starting in September. What is the best way to travel and how reliable is the transport system? Do most drive in and how is the school so far? She could also go to Mayfield, but we thought RGS would be a better fit with the 'strong' performing arts, maths and science components, but is it worth the commute?

Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

To the casual observer (or at least, user of Google :)), it looks like a short train ride to Chatham then a direct bus from Chatham station to the school? I suppose it depends on how long the walk is to the station at the home end, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
olucares

Post by olucares »

Matti38 wrote:Hi,

My daughter will be attending RGS in September, but we live in Gravesend and I was hoping to hear from those with daughters already attending the school commuting from Gravesend and also from those with daughters who will be starting in September. What is the best way to travel and how reliable is the transport system? Do most drive in and how is the school so far? She could also go to Mayfield, but we thought RGS would be a better fit with the 'strong' performing arts, maths and science components, but is it worth the commute?

Thanks
As far as I know, there is a coach that goes from Gravesend straight to the school, it leaves from Lion Garage, I think it costs about 200 pounds a year. Most RGS parents in Gravesend use this.