Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nikki2403

Re: Help

Post by nikki2403 »

Cass1 wrote:Hi Nikki,

I tutored both my children and I think this is one of the toughest parts of it. My DD just sat it and I was so stressed!
I mainly used the CGP practice books and 10 min tests for each subject but also dipped in and out of other books hoping this would fill in any holes. I also wrote out a Maths "11+ curriculum" that I found on here from someone and checked that we'd covered all the areas. Also, used information from the Maths Skillstrack assessments my children did at school and worked on any areas they were worse at.
At the beginning of the summer I discovered some books called Bond How to Do Maths and the one for NVR which I found extremely useful for seeing what DD was good at or needed more work on. Wish Id found those earlier.

Where did you find the "11+ curriculum" on here? Can you send me directions to it please?
Thanks
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Cover knowledge now. Don't worry about speed until much nearer the time; it will come. Speed was more of an issue for Medway than Kent. It's a long hard slog, so allow lots of rewards and breaks. There is an element of they are either capable or not. It's too easy for a parent to stress over covering every single element of the curriculum, thinking those couple of extra marks will make all the difference. They won't. Don't let your stress rub off on your children. Good luck.

Edit. Writing is hard for a parent to teach. Let them read whatever interests them.
Kate82x

Post by Kate82x »

We’ve just passed Kent & Medway & only starting in the January before.
It was all new to me as we’d moved from an area 6 months prior that the children don’t take the test as standard so not many people do.

I started my daughter off one day a week at a tuition centre as I had no idea where to start but it gets easier in time & you learn quite quickly. Without tutoring I don’t know if she’d done as well in the non verbal. They don’t teach it at school & I wasn’t very good with it either.
Once we got a good understanding of this it was the work we did at home that was most valuable.

We did one mock to prepare her for what it would be like.
I didn’t feel any more than this was necessary as you’re getting your own test results at home & I didn’t want to add any more pressure.

I wouldn’t worry about 10 minute tests any time soon, probably not for a good few months yet.
Speed isn’t important at the start, it’s something to fine tune later.

Imo cgp are better. Get the study guides, they’re invaluable. They’ll also tell you by the guide tests they do what book level you should start on. Then start on the work books.

There’s a website called 11+ diy. You pay a subscription & it gives you access to online tests & logs your stats & scores for comparison. You can be really specific on what test content you want to work on & areas to improve.
I would set my daughter challenges on this, printing out a chart to show once she’d achieved a certain % on 4 occasions I’d take her for a treat.
This worked well as she started out not being able to get over 40% on any of the subjects, she finished on getting consistently in the 80/90%.

Encourage reading but make sure it’s something they enjoy. Take them for a book treat & let them choose.
I think they benefit so much more if it’s enjoyable.

You’re doing the right thing doing both tests. We did it for the same reason as you & eventually fell in love with a Kent School for 1st choice, we didn’t expect that.

Good luck!