Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Medway Results 2021

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
(There is also the statement at the end of each criterion, however, that [If the school reaches PAN and becomes oversubscribed within this point in the priorities for allocation, random selection will be used to prioritise applications] . Which rather suggests that if there are, say, 50 places remaining to be allocated by the time the ranking gets to Criterion 6 and 51 applicants remain to be ranked, the boy living 50 miles away stands as much chance of getting in as the one in the same road as the school but not qualifying under any higher criterion).

I think what happens is that if there are 50 places and say 60 applicants but for the 50th place there are 2 applicants living at the same distance then they would used random allocation for the last place

Yes, that is what one would expect to happen in that event, but if that is what this statement is meant to refer to, it needs to say that, not what it does say, which doesn't mention a tiebreak for the final place available.

A school local to us does actually allocate places fully by random selection under one of its criteria, I discovered quite recently. It means that the school has to rerun the 'lottery' every time a place becomes available and I'm always just a little curious as to the transparency of this.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Re: Medway Results 2021

Post by hermanmunster »

agree it definitely doesn't read very well - could be chaos if all of the last (distance) category was random
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now