Help! Review process...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
for_tinkerbell

Help! Review process...

Post by for_tinkerbell »

Firstly, hello I have been silently visiting these boards throughout my 2 year 11+ nightmare..ahem I mean journey (ds last year dd this) and thank everyone as I have always found the answers I needed without ever needing to post myself..until now!

We received my dd medway results yesterday and to be honest I am still truely baffled! VR 118 Maths 117 Writing 85!!!!!!!!

There are two questions I have the first is if anyone knows how the marking goes as when she came out of her test I had a very bad feeling when she relayed her story to me, that she missed the point of what they wanted her to write. If this is the case would they disregard her work for not answering the question? as the only possible explanation for her mark being so low I can come up with is, that they have only marked the first part of her writing up to the point she has changed direction?!

Secondly I have looked through the appeals section but as the review is such a different thing I am hoping for some advice with regard to my statement. Do you need to cite extenuating circumstances? Because I don't think we have any! However, she has clearly underperformed for some reason as a consistently overachieving child currently working just below sats L5 in writing at school, scoring 85 (well below average) makes no sense.

Also do I mention that she passed the kent test? I am not sure if this would work against me at review as it means she does have the option of a Kent grammar.

Do I state my suspicion her work was unmarkable due to subject matter rather than low marked for it's content or would that again go against me?

I really hope there is someone familiar with this process that can help... this is the longest weekend ever she is dreading school tomorrow and her confidence is through the floor!
lacey

Post by lacey »

I am looking forward to some advice too. I am speaking to my daughters primary school tomorrow and hoping that they will agree with me to go ahead with a review. I know her school work is brilliant but she did have several different teachers in year five which I think will have a bearing on the review. I think it is worth trying to do. My daughter is also dreading school tomorrow all though her best friend didn't pass either. I am wondering what to write on the form and how to put it across that she would do better in a grammar school. Please if someone has been through this process, some advice would be welcome.
for_tinkerbell

Post by for_tinkerbell »

Thanks for replying Lacey I have been thinking about it further and I think all that needs to be said on the review form is that her scores are not reflective of her ability I think it is the childs work that will do the talking so to speak, that and I assume however persuasive the school will be in their recommendation it is out of our hands really.

The whole process is horrible even if they pass it's still comparing scores etc the parents are as bad as the kids. At least your daughter and her friend can stick together unfortunately my girl's 'best friend' wont miss any opportunity to rub it in her face that she passed as far as I know my dd is the only one in her circle of friends not to pass!

At least the review process is quick , best of luck to you and your girl.
lacey

Post by lacey »

Thank you tinkerbell and I wish you and your daughter the best of luck too.
I think what you said about what you will put on the form is a good idea.

I hope your daughters day won't be too bad. I have told my daughter not to say anything about a review to anyone because I don't want her to have any more added pressure after every else she has been through.
All the best!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hello for_tinkerbell. 85 is extremely low, you are right, and I too would have warning flags going off in my head. What was her writing level last year at the end of year 5? and what is her predicted SATs level for this year for writing? Did she finish the creative writing piece? Find it hard?
The other scores are good and completely on track, you need to investigate this further I feel, unless writing is her weakness, you did say she passed the Kent test which doesn't take account of the writing.
jnadams2

Post by jnadams2 »

Tinkerbell
Unless there is something wrong with my Maths! Her total score was 522 which is only 4 points below the cut off! I'm not an expert regarding appeals but I would have thought that this was close enough to warrant an appeal.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

In addition the maths was difficult again as it had so many areas not yet covered in the curriculum.

My thoughts are with those that are trying to unravel the results amd work towards review as it is a difficult process.
In addition the Review itself may not be the best course of action as it may impact your ability to appeal in March should the review not be successful. Please seek careful advise and consult your childs school to help you decide the best next action.
red_debs

Removed by a moderator. Too much information. Seeking clarification: is the same test used for children of families moving into the area from a different part of the country.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi Medwaymum
Check your sums - I think you have not doubled the 85 in Literacy! :lol:
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Medwaymum did you remove your posting or was I dreaming? It has been a long weekend! :shock:
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

reddebs wrote:Hi Medwaymum
Check your sums - I think you have not doubled the 85 in Literacy! :lol:
Reddebs- I realised as I hit post, so quickly deleted!!! :oops:

Tinkerbell, Reddebs is right about the review process. Seek advice from the school as I understand it now, if you go through review and are unsuccessful you lose your right to appeal the result in March, only to appeal if the review was unfair.