Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 11 plus procedure
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:23 pm 

Hi all

Please can anyone explain to me the procedure with 11 plus. I am from West Yorkshire and I have a daughter in year 2. Just wanted to know at what age the tuition for the 11 plus exams can start and when I get her registered for entrance tests etc.

Thankyou

Post subject: Re: 11 plus procedure
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:17 pm 

Hi animas1234 and welcome!
There are three state selective grammar schools in West Yorkshire, two in Calderdale and one in Kirklees. The Grammar School at Leeds, Bradford Grammar, Huddersfield Grammar and QEGS in Wakefield are fee paying, Batley Grammar is non selective.
If you are considering NHGS, Crossleys or Heckmondwike do check the transport options from where you live as West Yorkshire is a big place and journey times can be long due to traffic. The Calderdale schools use the same exam for their 360 places (GL) and Heckmondwike uses CEM which is a different format. Both require good vocabulary/ reading skills. Most of the big tutors provide Year 4 preparation before they ramp up to the formal courses in Year 5. You could strengthen maths skills before then (e.g. times tables, Bond books, puzzles) and support reading development. This would help whether or not you decide to do the exam and it’s never wasted.
You register for the exams in year 5; there is a window of several months. I would suggest going to open days in Year 4 so she has an idea of what she’s aiming for, if you go ahead. Good luck!

Post subject: Re: 11 plus procedure
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:25 pm 

Hi and Thankyou so much for your advice and guidance much appreciated! When you say I would need to register her for the exams is it just the school entrance exams I need to register her for? There isn’t anything else I would need to register her for like any other entrance exam or anything? Also with regards to tuition which i will look at getting started in year 4 would you know which is the best place for tuition within West Yorkshire? Any suggestions? Thankyou very much