11 plus procedure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
animas1234

11 plus procedure

Post by animas1234 »

Hi all

Please can anyone explain to me the procedure with 11 plus. I am from West Yorkshire and I have a daughter in year 2. Just wanted to know at what age the tuition for the 11 plus exams can start and when I get her registered for entrance tests etc.

Thankyou
Thewaitinggame

Re: 11 plus procedure

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Hi animas1234 and welcome!
There are three state selective grammar schools in West Yorkshire, two in Calderdale and one in Kirklees. The Grammar School at Leeds, Bradford Grammar, Huddersfield Grammar and QEGS in Wakefield are fee paying, Batley Grammar is non selective.
If you are considering NHGS, Crossleys or Heckmondwike do check the transport options from where you live as West Yorkshire is a big place and journey times can be long due to traffic. The Calderdale schools use the same exam for their 360 places (GL) and Heckmondwike uses CEM which is a different format. Both require good vocabulary/ reading skills. Most of the big tutors provide Year 4 preparation before they ramp up to the formal courses in Year 5. You could strengthen maths skills before then (e.g. times tables, Bond books, puzzles) and support reading development. This would help whether or not you decide to do the exam and it’s never wasted.
You register for the exams in year 5; there is a window of several months. I would suggest going to open days in Year 4 so she has an idea of what she’s aiming for, if you go ahead. Good luck!
animas1234

Post by animas1234 »

Hi and Thankyou so much for your advice and guidance much appreciated! When you say I would need to register her for the exams is it just the school entrance exams I need to register her for? There isn’t anything else I would need to register her for like any other entrance exam or anything? Also with regards to tuition which i will look at getting started in year 4 would you know which is the best place for tuition within West Yorkshire? Any suggestions? Thankyou very much
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Hi animas1234,
Your previous posts mention your daughter is in year 2 and you live in Bradford. Which schools will you apply for? You need to think through your transport options. Have a look on each school’s website for the application process. You’ll need to apply for the test/S in year 5 and apply to your LEA for a school place in Year 6.
This site prevents direct recommendations for tutors so I’d ask around. The really good ones don’t advertise and I know one which is already full for the January start. Investigate now and get your name down. You could always change your mind as they’ll have a waiting list.
animas1234

Post by animas1234 »

Hi thanks so much with regards the tutor recommendation is it possible to contact you another way eg via email or anything ? I just wanted to know which one is full from January you see