Heckmondwike

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Glittercookie

Heckmondwike

Post by Glittercookie »

Hi everyone

I'm new here and actually new to the 11+

Hoping to connect with others who have been through this before!

DD is due to take the CEM style Test for Heckmondwike in September. I've read through some old threads but just wondering if anyone has recent experience of their children taking the test for Heckmondwike/getting into Heckmondwike. We've been doing lots of reading and she loves writing so verbal reasoning and learning new words has not been an issue. She overthinks the comprehension so working on that. Any suggestions on tackling that welcome! Maths she is strong on but has no confidence in herself. Any tips on tackling the next few weeks?

Without going into anything we are not allowed to talk about here - i'm just wondering how long they have per paper and do they writing all the exam papers one after another?

I think (from the website/threads here) theres only 180 places. Does anyone know how many actually pass?

Thanks for reading and tips welcome!
mitasol

Re: Heckmondwike

Post by mitasol »

Hi and welcome,

Hopefully someone will be along to give you a recent update on the exam format. However, even with that information you should allow for latitude as the exam timing and format can change without notice.

This document provides useful information on the number of places and how they were allocated most recently. It appears from the document they allocated 210 places over various allocation categories. You would need to cross reference with the relevant admissions policy (entry 2020) and be sure to have a look at the current policy which will detail any changes.
https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/admiss ... ria-21.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is also allocation details for earlier years if you’re interested.

All the other documents should be listed on the school website . The most important document is the admissions policy but there is often other useful information so it’s worth checking in detail.
https://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/?s=Admission+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Hi, my daughter passed the HGS test last year. There are lots of short sections in the test and timing is key. You mention maths, comprehension and VR. There is also a section on Pictures, aka NVR that would be worth looking at. The school has familiarisation materials here: https://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/admissions/entrance-exam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although personally I’d whizz through an NVR CGP or Bond book so your daughter has at least come across the question types, e.g. cube nets and their basic rules. I would suggest you encourage her not to dwell on an answer but move onto the next question so she has a chance to complete the section. Sounds like you’re moving in the right direction!
They have taken in 210 children in the last few years and have a waiting list so the number seen as reaching the standard will be somewhat higher than that. Good luck!
Glittercookie

Post by Glittercookie »

Hi both

Just popped on to say thanks for replying to original post. We followed your advice and now we wait! We think the results are out next week and I have to say, I'm really nervous!
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Fingers crossed for you, Glitter cookie!
Glittercookie

Post by Glittercookie »

Ahhhhh @thewaitinggame thank you!

It's nearly over - tomorrow is the day!
Glittercookie

Post by Glittercookie »

Just popped to update you...she did it!

We got our confirmation that she met the required standard and so long as we complete the CAF correctly they would be happy to accept her. So now we wait until March - but I think we should be fine xx
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Marvellous news, Glittercookie! Congratulations!