Heckmondwike - NVR questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OverEagerDad

Heckmondwike - NVR questions

Post by OverEagerDad »

Hi there,

Does anyone remember which NVR type questions appeared on the HGS exams over the last couple of years. I know there is no pattern, just wondering is all.

Ta

OED
Thewaitinggame

Re: Heckmondwike - NVR questions

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Hi OverEagerDad
My daughter took the test in 2020, so fairly recently. We went through the CGP NVR book so she was familiar with the type that come up. She did report back that there was very little NVR but I think it was all a blur (although she did pass). She said there were no dice nets - I asked specifically about those.
From what I can see, speed and accuracy are the key to HGS success, plus a good vocabulary. I’d suggest being familiar with all NVR question types and being ready for any surprises (as in don’t panic if something unfamiliar comes up).
‘Hope that helps.
Glittercookie

Post by Glittercookie »

Hi overeagerdad

My daughter just took the test in Sept 2021 and we got confirmation in Oct 2021 that she passed and has been offered a place at Heck to start Sept 2022. I have to agree with the previous poster in relation to the general tips she has offered.

In relation to the specific question you ask my daughter was strong on NVR going into the test and we worked through CGP. Following the test - she confirmed that she was working so fast that NVR was a blur but she does not recall any dice nets and in fact a lot of the CGP NVR practice we did just did not feature on the paper. Having said that I still think its worth working through the CGP NVR as exposure to this will assist whatever question/pattern types comes up.

HTH
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Glittercookie wrote:Having said that I still think its worth working through the CGP NVR as exposure to this will assist whatever question/pattern types comes up.

HTH
Thanks for the reply.

Time is just rocketing by for next years exam. We’ve been through all the NVR types and really it is only paper folding/hole punch that we are weak on. My youngest is helping by shouting out count the sides every time DD1 gets a little stuck :)

Thanks again
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now