Options Year 5

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Turefu

Options Year 5

Post by Turefu »

Hello! My son is in year 5 and I'm looking for option for him. We live in rural Yorkshire and the only local school available is very bad, no way I'm going to send him. I thought about Ripon Grammar. It's only one year to his 11 plus exam and when I see comments here I'm worried I left preparations to late :( We live 20 miles from Ripon, but moving to is an option, I'm keen on it for other reasons too. But is moving now , year 5 good timing? Is it better to wait until he'll finish school? But then he'll be outside an area. Any thoughts?
bridge

Re: Options Year 5

Post by bridge »

Moving now or anytime can be good or bad depending on how you manage it. Clearly there is the issue of being in catchment; best to check the school criteria for when you need to be in catchment by as this might save you a lot of hassle.
Turefu

Post by Turefu »

Hi Bridge, thank you for your response. As far as I know chidren need to be in the catchment area by the end of year 5. Need to double check it.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I wouldn't usually recommend moving just because of schools, but if your only local option is very poor then moving may make sense.

That said, moving in the hope of getting a place at a grammar school is pretty stressful for parent and child alike. If you do decide to move you should make sure you have a good non-grammar option available to you as well as the grammar that you like. You may find it a lot less stressful to move next door to a well-performing comp rather than pin all your hopes on a grammar place that you might not get.

(I'm not saying you've left it too late or that your child won't get a grammar place - he may well do brilliantly - but it is a risk and you should make sure you've got a back-up plan.)
Turefu

Post by Turefu »

Hi Streathammum, thank you for your response. There's good comp in Ripon, if my son won't get into grammar, he'll get place in the comp. There're other reasons I want to move, not just school, but school is the main one. Thing is , we live in very rural place and there's simply no others options then local very poor comp. I read here and in othere places people making choices about their children's schools. There's no choice here, no public transport. Frustrating.