Heckmondwike exam Information

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vikpoo

Heckmondwike exam Information

Post by vikpoo »

Hi Everyone,

My son is preparing for the 11plus exams for this sept. We are new to this journey and hence have so many questions in mind related to the exam itself. Could you please help us to understand more on following:

1) Which books do you find best match to the exam level standard? We are doing CGP CEM books. Are these enough or should we try more books.

2) How many papers will there be? Will there be any break between 2 papers.?

3) What are the total Max marks for the exams? Like we tried CGP practice paper in Which each set has Paper 1( 95 marks) and Paper 2 (80 marks). So combined maximum marks are 175.

4) What kind of min score is considered as passing marks? Say out of 175, how much should we be aiming atleast( 130/140 or even higher). Some tutors/books recommend 85% and above. Anyone knows what could be the borderline percentage( especially for july born children).

Experience parents please help.

Thank you
Thewaitinggame

Re: Heckmondwike exam Information

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Hi Vikpoo
My children took the test a few years ago. CGP CEM sounds about right although we didn’t use them, just the standard CGP ones. I’d be aiming for 85% but I don’t believe your child will get two distinct papers. They have a lot of quick fire questions. Speed is very important and the approach not to worry if they don’t think they are hitting the 85% mark in the exam as I believe the pass mark is lower than that. Reading and vocabulary is crucial. I’d suggest looking through previous posts to see if anyone has any better insights into the actual test.
Good luck!
vikpoo

Re: Heckmondwike exam Information

Post by vikpoo »

Thank you Thewaitinggame for the reply. My son loves reading but still, the variation of Vocabulary based questions looks tricky. Be it completing the partial words, or Cloze , or various other syn antonym tasks.

We will continue building vocabulary as much as possible in the remaining weeks before the exam.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now