Eleven plus procedure advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
animas1234

Eleven plus procedure advice please

Post by animas1234 »

Hello All

My daughter would like to do the eleven plus exam and we would like to apply for the grammar schools in Halifax Calderdale as well as comprehensives in Bradford. As they fall under to local authorities I wanted to know if I need to make two separate applications to two different local authorities? Also would anyone know when it is best to start tuitioning for the eleven plus? Will it be in year 4?

Thankyou
scary mum

Re: Eleven plus procedure advice please

Post by scary mum »

You only make an application through your home council. Check past admissions to make sure you have a chance if getting the schools you apply for (& have one "banker" that you are sure of getting).
As for tuition, it varies enormously, but personally I would say the start of year five is enough. Before that just give your child a good grounding in reading and times tables. Maybe play word puzzle type games. Having said that I don't know what the exams are like in your area & how competitive it is. For some of the superselective schools where they have no catchment people often start tuition very early, but I think that runs to risk of the child becoming bored (not to mention upset if they then don't get into the desired school).
scary mum