appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kathryn

appeals

Post by Kathryn »

My son has failed to met the cut off mark yet he is top or near top of his class can anyone give me advice on appealing for a place to Erymsteds Grammar school
chad

Post by chad »

I haven't any knowledge of the school you mentioned but have you looked at the advice given in the Appeals section?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

I believe that this is quite generic....

If you think your child should have met the cutoff but didn't perform as well on the day...... and have some good backup in his academic work then it is worth trying.

There is a small amount of info on the N.yorkshire website

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/public/sit ... 6519acRCRD

and

the figures on last year (see link below) show that 79 places were offered in March and they only admitted 105 out of the 112 allowed.

http://www.ermysteds.n-yorks.sch.uk/gen ... ssions.pdf

Hopefully someone may have gone through the system and has personal knowledge of the school. It is much better if you can get some 'close to home' advice. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

My son is at Ermysted's - he passed OK a couple of years ago when we moved here. since we've been here I talked to lots of parents etc it seems that quite a few do get in on appeal particularly if they are close to the cut off mark so it is worth having a go.
Most years they have enough places for all those who reach the level whether in or out of catchment.
Are you in catchment? What are your other options?

Post by Guest »

Hi Guest, :)
When is his birthday? how many points did he fail by? are there any strong supporting reasons why he didn't reach cut off?

My daughter passed last year for SGHS, and I think if you have failed by no more than about 6 marks you have a quite high chance of gaining a place.

I know I would have took it down to the last ditch attempt if my daughter hadn't been so fortunate to pass. :?

Footymad xx.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

He did not pass by 9 marks the cut off being 225. He was born in april, I understand they standardise by age but as he is mid year this probably made no difference to him.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I reckon it must depend on how many boys got between his score and the cut off mark as to chances of success at appeal. Is he at a local school? have you managed to speak to the head there yet - they often have more info about the appeals process and chances.
afleetingglimpse

Post by afleetingglimpse »

Have you any idea of how many children are between him and the pass mark? Best of luck with the appeal. We're in a similar position but for our daughter.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi a fleeting glimpse.

We are out of area and my daughter passed last year.

If it's any consolation I have only heard of one person out of area where we live that has passed this year.

There was about 5 or six all together who passed for the boys and girls grammars combined last year, and this years cut off was a few marks lower???

I'd appeal because if there hasn't been many that have passed you have a greater chance of gaining a place at appeal.

Good Luck!
If you want to know how many have passed in and out of area email craven education, stating that your daughter sat the test give her name and d.o.b they will tell you the stats!

Let us know how you get on.
Fingers crossed xx

Footy xx.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

keep at the appeals - they do take a fair few each year on appeal (both schools) - the system is slightly strange in that they take the top 28% in catchment boys and girls which is actually only 50 + of each - hence there are quite a large number of places available for outside candidates to compete for.

good luck !!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now