Wooohooo

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

Haze wrote: But, I suppose, if he has trouble concentrating, he might have struggled at GS. I just hope the local comp has teachers strong enough to stop him from drifting.

:?
Does he manage to concentrate at primary school? If he does then I wouldn't assume that he will struggle to concentrate at high school based on finding it hard in the 11+; a large exam like that is enough to stop anybody from concentrating.

From what people at work and at school have said to me a lot of children didn't finish the VR paper so your DS is not alone.
zetamgr

Post by zetamgr »

Haze wrote:I have always said that. We were never sure whether the GS was the right thing for our DS, so we told ourselves, and told him, so long as he does his best, no matter what happens no-one will be angry becuase the outcome will be the right one.

I'm just frustrated that he's flunked it by lack of concentration, not lack of ability.

But, I suppose, if he has trouble concentrating, he might have struggled at GS. I just hope the local comp has teachers strong enough to stop him from drifting.

:?
Dear Haze
At least you've got a local comp! Local comprehensive - Luxury! We live just near NHGS and have no other local school for our daughter, as the other local religious schools prioritise admitting Christians (which we're not), and the Ridings was closed down, without sufficient alternative places being provided elsewhere. Now that Calderdale council have decided to actively promote religious discrimination in education by closing our local comp and only allowing Christians to be locally educated,
we were desparate for our daughter to make it into NHGS.

So we are also worried our daughter may have blown it through bad exam technique (wasted loads of times on a couple of Maths questions she couldn't do and only did 26/40 Maths questions). If she doesn't get in she is likely to be travelling from North Halifax to Todmorden, as Tod is the only school in Calderdale with any spare places, as we are not numbered amongst the Redeemed Elect whom the Church of England permits to attend Holy Trinity.

She missed the last two blocks in the VR (12 questions), but it sounds like her written essay was probably good, so that might make up for the dodgy maths paper. Still her elder sister got in two years ago, and I thought she'd probably not quite made it either, so nil desperandum.

Meanwhile we're going to forget about it and enjoy the run up to Christmas.
Regards
mgr
Haze

Post by Haze »

Blimey Zetamgr. I didn't realise things were like that where you are. If the secondary schools are so exclusively religious, where do the asians go? What are you supposed to do?

BTW, Tod is our local comp, and the open evening was okay. Perhaps it isn't such a poor option.
helhan68

not quite

Post by helhan68 »

I have a year between two and three!

Still a bit of a headache though!

Hx
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Helhan wrote:I have a year between two and three!

Still a bit of a headache though!
:lol: At least you'll get it all over with in the soonest time. I'm beginning to wish I had mine closer together! :roll:
Haze

Post by Haze »

I'm done. #2 has no chance. Lovely though she is, academia is not calling!

:D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm going to try with #2 but it's a bit early to say yet with #3! :lol:
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

mitasol wrote:I'm going to try with #2 but it's a bit early to say yet with #3! :lol:
It's too soon for me to say with #2 as well, he just started in Reception!
helhan68

Post by helhan68 »

Blimey, reception is a it early!!

:)
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

helhan68 wrote:Blimey, reception is a it early!!

:)
I suppose I could give him a verbal reasoning paper to do but he'd most likely make a paper airplane with it ;)