Skipton tests - how many questions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
andy from embsay

Skipton tests - how many questions?

Post by andy from embsay »

Hello - our daughter will be doing 11+ this September with a view to going to skipton ghs. I was wondering if anybody knows how many questions the two tests include (I think they do one practice paper of each then two "for real" tests?). And I know the pass mark in skipton's about 225 or so - but don't know how many this is out of! Also, roughly how many extra marks do they get for being young in their year? She's an end of July birthday.

thanks!!
Snowdrops

Re: Skipton tests - how many questions?

Post by Snowdrops »

Hello Andy and welcome to the forum.

The Skipton tests are the same tests as Ripon (but different pass mark!). From memory the NVR is 80 questions in four sections of 20 questions, each section is 10 minutes long and no going back once a section is completed. But I could be wrong, it's almost 2 years (eek) since my dd did hers.

The VR I really can't remember :shock: , something like 125 questions, but Herman will be along shortly and put me right. If not I'll ask dd if she remembers when she gets in tonight. You can always ring the LEA in Harrogate, they're very helpful.

The top score you can get is 280 but as for standardisation, well, I think you need a degree to understand it, but rest assured your dd will be awarded the extra marks due to her age.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - good to see you ..!

Sorry I can't quite remember the number of questions either... old age I think. However the key thing is that there are as snowdrops sections in the NVR - 10 mins and no going back - can be disconcerting for some.

The passmark in Skipton has varied between 222 and 227 over the years.

It is based on the score achieved by 28% of the catchment children. OOC children have to reach the same score. All in catchment children will get a place if they get the score.

They have 3 sessions - the practice session of 2 papers then 2 real sessions - usually in the school if they are in state school in the patch.
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Thanks - not sure how they get to 280 marks when there's (roughly) 200 questions! But if the max is 280 that suggests that the pass % is roughly 80%? I think I understand the pass mark business - ironic that the pass mark in Skipton gets pushed up by the large amount of tutoring that goes on (can't be the water, can it?), which I'm sure is, in part, driven by an assumption that in area kids are competing with OOC ones - which of course they're not!

Another query then - do they get a result from the practice tests before the actual ones? Whilst we'll do some practice papers (and have been doing with the tutor) I was wondering if they get an idea from their practice or whether it is just a "familiarisation" jobby. I gues there's arguments either way - too low a mark and it could knock their confidence.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No they don't get any result from the practice test, the timetable is quite short - usually thursday, tuesday, thursday or something like that. It really is familiarisation - though whether there is the possibility of it being marked if the child is ill for the rest I don't know. Usual mutterings are that the practice is harder than the real thing.

Why the Skipton mark gets pushed up I am not sure... lots of discussion I know, don't think so many marks are due to tutoring... maybe it is the water or the easy commute to universities / businesses of Leeds and Bradford, and maybe the number of graduate parents is higher.. who knows?
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

hermanmunster wrote:No they don't get any result from the practice test, the timetable is quite short - usually thursday, tuesday, thursday or something like that. It really is familiarisation - though whether there is the possibility of it being marked if the child is ill for the rest I don't know. Usual mutterings are that the practice is harder than the real thing.
Really doubt it, when we were waiting for DD to come out of the practise text a bloke came out with a huge box of papers and emptied them into a skip. I was sorely tempted to jump in after them and see if I could find DD's :oops:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That's the answer then! ... the mutterings were obviously wishful thinking on some people's part
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh and I forgot to say, they take the best scores of both papers - so, say your dd did better one NVR on the first test but better at VR on the second, it's these two scores which count.

When I asked dd last night about the scores she thought the NVR was 20 questions in 2 minutes :lol: :lol: :lol: oh, she does like a laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: She couldn't even remember how many questions were for VR :shock:

I didn't know formal tutoring went on for Skippy! :shock: :shock: - that's a serious statement btw :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

reckon the same thing would have happened if they were asked on the way out of the test.....!!!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I've just read my last posting and it's so gobbledegook, it's surprising anyone can understand it!! Please forgive me, I'm a bit fuzzy headed today, I got woken up by too many alarms going off, too many heavy footed people making too much noise, a late night and not enough sleep. I'm just grateful I don't have to work or drive today!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now