Results!! North Yorks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sghsprospective

Re: Results!! North Yorks

Post by sghsprospective »

Thanks. We've never been through this before, so it's all very new. Our DD did us really proud with a fantastic pass. We're just hoping this wasn't in vain.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Just looked up some of the distances and numbers passing over the last few years (each year for 112 places)

2008 128 passed max distance 13 miles
2009 155 passed max distance 7.5 miles
2010 <112 passed - all offered ( I hear)
2011 111 passed

at first sight 8 miles looks encouraging with 111 passing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Congratulations to your daughter SGHS, you must all be very pleased she passed.

Being OOC is just about the worst for the old nerves, even worse than waiting for the results itself I think. But hang in there, it all works out in the end!
sghsprospective

Post by sghsprospective »

Snowdrops wrote:Congratulations to your daughter SGHS, you must all be very pleased she passed.

Being OOC is just about the worst for the old nerves, even worse than waiting for the results itself I think. But hang in there, it all works out in the end!
Yes, we're still walking on air. We knew she was capable, but until you get the piece of paper with the score, you have no idea!! Thanks and we'll just keep our fingers crossed for March 1st.
jojo79

Post by jojo79 »

Hi

Sorry for delay snowdrops, DS didn't pass :( he got 200 with pass mark being 210. A bit dissapointed but he tried is hardest and thats the best he can do, back at school today and all the others in his maths group (top set) had passed, his literacy is just not good enough i think. Oh well c'est la vie!

Jo
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

There seems to be quite a few very near misses amongst the girls at our daughter's primary - at least 4 who were within 2 marks of passing, but not sure how many will appeal (or of course how many will succeed).

It does bring back this whole issue of the Ripon v Skipton pass mark (although it was closer this year - only 10 different) - it does seem bizarre that these families have had a letter saying "your daughter is not suitable for a grammar school education" - but if they lived 20 miles up the road the letter would say they were.

Not sure what the answer is - it seems a shame that 2 out of 3 girls will be from out of the catchment area - but the alternative is to lower the entry standard, i guess. Maybe for every child from Ilkley who comes to Ermies or SGHS one skipton child should be allowed into Ilkley Grammar. :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Even more bizarely Andy, they can sit the one test and apply for both schools - different pass marks means they could get into one and not the other! 'Tis all very strange indeed :shock: :shock:

There's nothing to stop anyone living in Skippy putting down for Ilkley grammar, whether they'll get it or not is another matter though :(
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

People who used to live across the road from us had a daughter at ilkley grammar - suspect they must have moved from there before they moved to Embsay for her to have been there, as i can't imagine ilkley grammar take many people from 12 miles away. Couple of girls from our village primary are going to south craven but they have siblings there.

We've actually heard reasonably positive things about Aireville, actually - and most of the kids who just miss out at 11+ will presumably be in top sets etc so will probably do just fine.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are some who trail up to Settle middle too... nice trip when the weather is OK !

Ermysted's took in 22 to the sixth form this year from some schools without 6th forms (presumably aireville and U wharfedale) and indies in the area, presumably the girls took in a fair few too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

jojo79 wrote:Hi

Sorry for delay snowdrops, DS didn't pass :( he got 200 with pass mark being 210. A bit dissapointed but he tried is hardest and thats the best he can do, back at school today and all the others in his maths group (top set) had passed, his literacy is just not good enough i think. Oh well c'est la vie!

Jo
So sorry to hear this news, as you say at least he tried his hardest and that is what matters. Good luck to him at his new school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now