Please Help - North Yorkshire oversubscription Appeal -

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
acme

Re: Please Help - North Yorkshire oversubscription Appeal -

Post by acme »

Hi Herman,
Well I spent 3 hours on it this morning! The head of ds's school is writing a letter saying he needs to go there. She said to me that she felt that though she writes letters to support many appeals she truly believes DS needs to be there, and is giving the reasons why. He is on GT for Science etc - that his natural science knowledge is exceptional and that he needs challenge, and needs to do 3 separate sciences from yr 7, inorder to achieve his ambition of doing Zoology at Cambridge.

I am including evidence from his early years - A letter from David Attenborough to DS when he was 6, (he used to correspond with him) a visual anatomical diary ds used to keep from 5 -7.

Evidence about his music ability - Letter from his Violin teacher, and evidence about how he loves challenge and various awards he has won.

He desperately wants to do latin and has taught himself quite a bit, and the head will include in her supporting letter about his liguistic ability.

There will also be a short report from an edu psychologist to support the appeal.
Don't think I can do much more. These things are so hard to win, still hope enough people give up places.

We do have the other option you know about (are struggling to work out how to do it - we have 3 children altogether) Ermysteds is preferred, and the state school he has been allocated will not give him the challenging academic opportunities that he thrives on.

Ds is a quirky, sociable boy, tendency to clown about when not challenged, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you for asking,

Oh yes - Papers have to be in by the 16th March. Appeals due to be heard in the last week of April, first week May.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds as though you have been really busy and I have my fingers firmly crossed for you, hoping for success.

The key points are there as to why EGS is the right place -
ie Latin - they all do this and many do Class Civ - some do Greek with help of teachers in spare time.

Science - triple science for all (for starters anyway as a few actually do just the dual award in the end- not everyone can be a scientist :roll: )

Music - good strings ensemble + the Big Band (trumpets / sax / trombones / bass / drums / keyboard) - if your DS is interested in taking on another instrument he would have good fun on the Jazz side. Many of the band play other instruments too and there are small separate ensembles within it too. One of the band currently plays flute, trombone, keyboard and composes for strings.

Don't know if he is sporty (don't worry if he isn't - obviously can do plenty of other things and DS hates rugby / cross country :roll: ) but EGS are Rugby / Cross Country keenies :shock:

Good Luck!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I SO have my fingers crossed for you and ds.

I know how difficult and worrying it is doing an appeal. Just concentrate on keeping everything relevant, backing everything up with evidence.

With a good wind and lots of luck you need to go to appeal - come on you laggers, tell the LEA and put people out of their misery !

Good luck acme - keep us all posted as to how you're doing, we'll help all we can :D
acme

Post by acme »

Thank you :)
Sport! :?
Only if it involves a bike a tree or a boat. DS is not a sporty soul, hates football rugby and running! Loves mountains, climbing and sailing.

Oh well.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

SOOOOO embarassed :oops: :oops: :oops:

My posting should have said:

With a good wind and lots of luck you NEEDN'T go to appeal.
Snowdrops wrote:
With a good wind and lots of luck you need to go to appeal - come on you laggers, tell the LEA and put people out of their misery !

:D
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Good luck acme -KFC and everything else for you :wink:
Bougalou
acme

Post by acme »

We are now 3rd on the waiting list, but I don't think there will be anymore not taking up places. Oh well. Appeal here we go. Our date is May 3rd! Wish me luck ***
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Best of luck! You seem well prepared.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Definitely best of luck Acme.... everything crossed...!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Very best of luck from me too, fingers, toes and eyes crossed just for you!

Is there anything we can help with at all - any questions for us? I know how important the moral support is and we're all behind you.

Let us know what happens won't you? We'll all be thinking of you on 'the' day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now