Travel to Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
poppet

Travel to Grammar Schools

Post by poppet »

Hi,

I have a DS currently in year 5 and we are considering putting him in for the 11+. We live in Huddersfield so the only Kirklees options are Batley and Heckmondwike but we are actually nearer the Halifax schools. None of the 4 schools has direct transport from the Colne Valley.

The Kirklees schools would involve travelling via 2 buses, a journey of about 1hr 10, the Calderdale schools would be easier for him but would involve me driving him to the school bus pick up point (only about 10mins car drive but too far to walk). Easily done I suppose but a pain with 2 younger siblings in tow.

Anyone have any experience of similar. Eleven seems very young to be negotiating long journeys.

Thanks
mitasol

Re: Travel to Grammar Schools

Post by mitasol »

Hi Poppet,

Welcome to the forum.

Batley is an ex indie turned Free School and takes all ability ranges under fair banding. Heckmondwike has a catchment policy. So you need to check the admissions policies of these two schools to ensure they are a reasonable option.

The Halifax schools have no catchment area and no sibling policy, therefore they do have children coming in from a wide area, including Huddersfield. Much will depend on what your local school options are and if you think the benefit of a GS education will outweigh the journey time/difficulty.

Both schools appreciate that their students make longer than average journeys and cater for it. Many of the clubs are run at lunch time and the children are allowed to take mobile phones to school so can contact parents if problems arise.

I think you will be amazed and a little saddened, at how fast children mature in year 7!
poppet

Re: Travel to Grammar Schools

Post by poppet »

Thanks for the reply.

I think the Calderdale schools are the only feasible GS option by the sounds of it. I think DS would thrive in a GS, but then everyone probably thinks that about their child too. The schools in our area are fairly good so it's not a disaster if he doesn't go but I want to give him the chance and he seems keen.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now