Ermysteds Opening Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FluffyD

Ermysteds Opening Evening

Post by FluffyD »

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have a son currently in Y4 and we are looking at Ermysteds as our first choice upper school. He is on the G&T register for maths and science and we feel that EGS is a perfect school for him from what we have gleaned off the internet.

We are going to have a look round tonight (dad away on business this week though which is a shame, may look into making a seperate appointment so that he can go as well) I am quite excited but also slightly nervous! If I am nervous about going to look around what am I going to be like waiting for results? :)

I hope to "speak" with you all soon,

Vx
Vic x
hermanmunster

Re: Ermysteds Opening Evening

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi FluffyD and welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about the EGS open evening - DS will be over there showing people around along with other 6th formers and I don't think any of them bite.

Generally a relaxed affair - music from junior band and experiments in chemistry lab etc. Most of the boys will be year 5 taking the exam in September but expect there will be some younger ones too.

Good Luck
Herman
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Thanks Herman,

Sounds like it will be fun.

How have your boy(s) found it there so far?

V x
Vic x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

One boy there, found it fine - sometimes he feels like there is quite a mix of ability despite being selective, he puts it down to many having been tutored to get in... actually it is all relative really and the exam results are stunning for a non superselective :wink:

Quite traditional atmosphere, plenty of support for music, drama, volunteering etc - quite sporty (rugby, fell running, footy, cricket)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hello and welcome to the forum FluffyD.

No child at EGS, but one dd at RGS (Ripon). Ripon had their open evening last night - dd helped out there, seems such a long time ago now that we were looking around, how time flies.

Come back onto the thread whenever you need help Herman (and I, along with others) will help all we can :D

Whereabouts are you?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just driven past - hordes of people there :shock: ! And every car heading that way had year 4-5 boys in it.

You are right Snowy, time flies - we never made it to an open evening, but DS was commenting that he will have left by the time the kids visiting today start at the school :o
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Thanks for the welcome Snowdrops.

Went along tonight and I am very impressed with the school. The boys were great ambassadors for the school, answered questions very well and really seemed to enjoy it there.

I live in Bingley which is my main concern at the moment. We are so far away and while I am confident that DS can pass the 11+ I would be heartbroken for him not to get in on distance. We don't really want to move nearer to EGS as our current primary is amazing and if we move away our DD won't get in there, plus we would have to move DS in his final year at primary which seems harsh to me.
I spoke to the school about it and they said that they have boys from Leeds and Frizinghall going in each day but I am still unsure about distance. It makes me nervous to think about. It is out of our control and I don't like that :wink:

EGS is a school that suits my DS right down to the ground, boys only :lol: very science based, small school. He wants to be an Archaeologist so the sciences and languages and even the recent addition of the Classic Civilisation GCSE will all aid DS in his chosen career path that he has wanted to do for longer than I can remember.

Would be useful if there was a way to find out the furthest distances that other boys have got in on, though I suppose it's a moot point as its next year that counts!

Anyway, I am rambling and bed is calling! Night all.
Vic x
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Fluffy,

If you have a look at the Selective school admissions guide 2012/13 it has the figure for the previous year as 10.8 miles - straight line distance.
http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=16395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Fluffy

Another forum member - Acme's DS was very high up the waiting list for admission this year and finally got in on over sub appeal - they lived Bingley side of Shipley. Other years they can offer to all those who pass (like 2009).

When the results arrive you get an idea of the numbers of in catchment and out of catchment children who have passed - if it is somewhere under 112 then you are in with a v good chance (selection appeals permitting) of getting a place.

best wishes
Herman
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Thanks for your help, we live exactly 11 miles from EGS though it is meaningless until the exam has been sat and we have an idea of numbers. There could be another year like 2009 where everyone that passes gets a place or there could be a really fierce competition year and the furthest successfull boy lives 7miles away. There is no way of knowing what will happen next year so I will just have to calm myself and try not to think about it too much!

The head was talking about the Parents Association (of which I am a member of a similar thing at my DS's school) and how they raise 16/17k a year for the school which I found amazing. Our school's association raises roughly 4k a year, though being a primary with a one form entry is obviously going to be a lot less but it is good to see it is a school with continued parental involvment (not just getting them through the 11+!) I am a big believer than parents add a lot to the school and would like to continue supporting DS's upper school in the same way wherever that may be.

V x
Vic x