Harrogate... or Skipton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Harrogate... or Skipton

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed re traffic - bliss when we moved here! Get rather crabby south of about Northampton these days :wink:
Traffic deffo not too bad in North Yorks apart from York itself which is a disaster zone...

Had to get to central Harrogate one morning and it was quite busy then but really not as bad as most other places and I just didn't allow enough time as don't factor in traffic jams any longer. :oops: Only time it really goes pear shaped is the Yorkshire Show when it is a total no go zone.

I love the shopping in Harrogate .. no doubt I';ll be there next week sometime.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

And breathe....

Form in. SGHS at top, and no HHS.

Now it's "just" a matter of ramping up some practice on the VR and NVR, with a few months notice. Should be easy, right? :wink: The matter of moving the family & house should be childs play after that!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MikeW wrote:Now it's "just" a matter of ramping up some practice on the VR and NVR, with a few months notice. Should be easy, right? :wink: The matter of moving the family & house should be childs play after that!

:lol: :lol: :lol: been there - done that and have the T-shirt!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You forgot the film Hermy, you forgot the film :lol:

Mike, I think you've made the right choice wrt HHS!

Your dd will be fine with a couple of months - good luck to her.

If you need owt else, just shout up lad :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

eee-ba-gum and bah'tat - the film, how could I forget ....
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Haha - the Yorkshire Show! I remember that as a school trip from years ago. Never knew the ground was right next to Harrogate - i thought it was in the middle of the countryside :oops:

Off for some R+R now; will be back next week sometime!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have some good R&R!

Yorkshire Showground just behind Sainsbury's...... :mrgreen:
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Has anyone mentioned ilkley? Good comp, pretty much nailed on OOA entry for SGHS most years, and quite a few kids travel every day.

Having said that we live just outside skipton and love it. Great primary, friendly village, superb running/walking/biking on your doorstep, and a direct train to london each day.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Andy

Sounds like Mike spent his very early years in Ilkley (parents ran a newsagents) - don't think he remember much about it though!!! I reckon Ilkley is a good option for school in Skipton and working Harrogate way.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Last week's R+R was on a narrowboat that we have a share of - but we decided to treat it like a floating cottage for the week, rather than doing anything energetic like locks!

That gave DD chance to practice more of the VR and NVR sheets - still Bond, as we didn't get chance to find anything different. Some interesting results: She continued with the same level for NVR (between 80 and 85% of the "10-11+" level), but was more variable with the VR. There she got between 60 and 96% (of the "9-10" level) but not in anything like an ordered sequence. Then we got hold of the "10-11+" book, which she immediately got 85% on! So much for the levels, eh? I think we'll have to find the more appropriate publishers though...

Friday was then a trip up North, first heading for Skipton. We did a drive-by of the schools (why does Ermysted's manage to look bigger & grander than SGHS?) but got put off by the amount of traffic around the town. Is it always that busy, or was something special on? There seemed to be a lot of tourists (it *was* a beautiful day), and a road closed due to resurfacing, which might have made a difference.

We then drove over to Harrogate, on the road past Bolton Abbey - and it is indeed pretty unpopulated, but a nice journey on a sunny day. That was followed by a whistlestop tour of flats we'd arranged with an agent. Followed by more driving around schools. DD was a bit upset to see someone had burnt down part of the playground in Valley gardens, where she'd played only a couple of weeks earlier. How do you explain vandalism to them???

It made for a pretty tiring day, all in all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now