Crossleys or North Halifax?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

annie321

Crossleys or North Halifax?

Post by annie321 »

I know some people choose one or the other because it's nearer to where they live, but some people have very firm opinions about which one they prefer. What are the differences, if any, and what are people's experiences of the two schools?
mitasol

Re: Crossleys or North Halifax?

Post by mitasol »

There is some help with choosing schools here. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... g-a-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure most people would be very happy with either school. I would put distance/ease of access at the top of the list and then decide which school was the best fit for your child.

I assume at this late stage you've already listed your preference on your CAF.
annie321

Post by annie321 »

Our DS loved North Halifax - and so did I - although it's further to travel. He ended putting North Halifax first even though it's a long trek from where we live. It was a difficult decision and of course he would be happy with either. He said he thought North Halifax had a nice 'feel' to it, and the open evening was fantastic - loads of hands-on stuff to do, which really caught his imagination.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Our DS loved North Halifax - and so did I
Yes - I know where you're coming from! :lol:
FaxFan

Post by FaxFan »

2011 school league tables just published, not much between the 2 again.
annie321

Post by annie321 »

The GCSE results are similar but Crossley Heath's A Level results seem much better, unless I'm interpreting the tables incorrectly. Wouldn't choose a school based purely on league tables though!
Whatnowformarmite

Post by Whatnowformarmite »

Was it just me or did NHGS look in need of TLC. The HT was pretty clear he was disappointed by the level of funding they received; 10th
worst in the country or something. is the lack of funding taking its toll? Didn't get that impression from CHS.

Just my view...what do you all think?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Funding at NH has been an issue for a long time and some of the buildings look in need of repairs.
OFSTED Report 2007 wrote:Funding of the school is comparatively low. This limits the extent to which improvements in accommodation can be made and places particular burdens on the capacity of the senior leadership team. . . The school provides excellent value for money.
When I went to the open evening I thought a lot of improvements had been made since I first looked around in 2008. :shock: It is going to be interesting to see if new government funding plans or academy status improves the financial situation at NH. As you mention,I believe NHGS was 10th lowest funded GS in the country last year.
annie321

Post by annie321 »

I thought the NHGS open evening was fantastic - I even emailed the head teacher the following day to say how impressed we had been. There was so much going on and everybody - staff and pupils - was so friendly and helpful. Crossleys was great too but just didn't have the same "buzz" about it, at least for our son.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

I have never considered either of these schools as it would be a tricky journey for DS without being driven.
Though out of curiousity :roll: how far do they offer places out? We live 6 1/2 miles away.
Vic x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now