"He who fails to plan is planning to fail" - Winston Churchill

1) Buy in
2) Fun, rewards, goals and progress demonstrated
3) A clear contract
4) Variety
5) Never on their own
6) You work harder than they do at the whole thing
7) Everyone is in the team 100% - don't row with anyone about it
8) A good tutor is worth 10 times their weight in gold - a bad one (we had one) is a disaster - the story!!
9) Not all school teachers agree with the process - watch out after the results come in - either way - another story !!
10) The school is teaching to the average and bottom, for SAT's not the 11+
11) Plan A, B and C may be even D
12) Did I say fun, if you are not working harder than them at making it fun you aren't delivering!!
13) There is NO failure, its about being in the right place

We moved country for mine - ask your self; what are you prepared to do?
From a limited view, your plan seems perhaps lacking in depth.
Are you really placing all your eggs in one school, one test, one prep source, one exam board and no story preparation?

I can expand on the above, some of the stories I heard coming out of the tests made me feel some parents wanted shooting. The parents should have had to sit an exam first to see if they understood what's actually required. There were children there who had nothing, I still am devastated that any parent could do that to a child. My only hope is the above might prevent at least some from scarring their kids for life.
hermanmunster

Re: Too pushy?

Post by hermanmunster »

Interesting Conseils, some parents decide not to do too much for the kids on the basis that they may not cope at GS if they can't easily pass the test. Also some people cannot move owing to inflexibility of careers and family commitments - very,very difficult for many.

Personally I moved 120 miles - but then I have a very moveable career - however didn't tutor or coach, kids did a few familiarisation tests at school but as the school was a very long way away they won;t have been specific to the 11 plus test they ultimately took. they did OK - maybe would have done a lot better if they had had practice on the local tests - who knows?
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi Conseils,
WOW! thanks for the advice... ( moving is not an option for us :) )
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I very strongly disagree that schools teach to the bottom and middle!

Schools are judged on level 5s too! The RAISE online reports used by OFSTED highlight the progress of able children as well.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Guest55 wrote:I very strongly disagree that schools teach to the bottom and middle!

Schools are judged on level 5s too! The RAISE online reports used by OFSTED highlight the progress of able children as well.
absolutely!
Conseils

Post by Conseils »

As you can no doubt tell I have been impacted by the sights and sounds of children coming out of the exams in a significant way. There were a few in a well known restaurant as well, where we had a treat after the exam's. The shock on their faces will stay with me for a long time.

Guest 55
In relation to my comments concerning level seen in schools: -
'Sats exams promote 'teaching to the test'
National exams in primary schools are promoting a culture of “teaching to the test”, according to MPs.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... -test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another article I read indicated that teaching was focused on lower and middle parts of the performance spectrum to ensure SAT's levels were improving - more statistics knowledge required here.

I agree with your comment concerning level 5, that may well be achieved for the SAT's test for a percentage of children at the end of the school year.

I believe schools and teachers are doing their utmost for their school's survival as demanded by the system. I am not passing judgement on the system, teachers or school's. I simply express an opinion that the style and level were in my limited experience - not the same as in the 11+ and have anecdotal evidence that unfortunately quite a few parents may be assuming it is - Caveat emptor. Again it's only an opinion (mine) and should be taken as such, value it as you will.

hermanmunster
What I hear from you is a plan, clear and set; which you were prepared to commit to and stand by. I suspect like us you started when your D.K.'s were born. Certainly I will be visiting their nursery as they (she) was very advanced and had them reading pre school. A gift that will last their lifetime.

I don't think I will ever get over the story from my youngest of the little girl who apparently sobbed all the way through the exams 'I can't do it, I can't do it, I can't do it.......'. As we walked out we asked ours how the test went, was it similar to the work books we had done..... The mother of the child concerned (we found out later) asked us, "what books! I thought the school was doing all this!".

We heard another story of a child in a previous year who was so upset, they left the exam and sat in the toilet.

On the other side we met a young man whose D.D. was sitting three different schools exams, he named the schools. Apparently his D.D. had done well to date, I suspect she will be choosing the school.

Mine came out humming and smiling, this is all I wanted.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, MPs are not always correct and they may not realise that ALL school are judged on progress not just attainment.

As teachers we want every child to make 'good progress' and a school that did not get KS1 level 3s to level 5b would be under scrutiny by OFSTED.
Sazzle

Post by Sazzle »

I am amazed at how some of you are talking about this exam! Months and months of prep? Tutors? Bribing the kids to do endless test over and over?!! Complete craziness!!
Why not let the child get a place at the school on their own merits? Fair enough do a practise paper to prepare them for the type of thing they'll be doing, but to tutor and slave over papers for months in advance is surely over the top. If they are bright enough then they should get in! If not, then how are they going to cope with the rest of their school years if they've had to be tutored for the exam?
I can't believe how stressful and emotional it seems to be for some of your children and yourselves! My son is going for it in October, with a view to attending CHGS. It's no big deal! If he gets in then fabulous, if he doesn't then he'll be at our local high school. No stress involved here!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sazzle, welcome to the forum! the thread you have posted in is quite and old and to be frank, getting a little wild and woolly.. We having seen the overenthusiastic conseils since :?

Some people feel they need to do a lot, either they feel there child has the potential (which needs a bit of help to come out) or they feel that the alternate school is not an option and hence start work to help their DC. Others are confident that their kids will get in whatever or at least should be able to without tutoring, or are happy with the alternate or maybe have enough money to consider indies etc and may feel that a softly softly approach is OK.

I fell into the latter group - no extra tutoring at home and they were fine ... however, I may well have been lucky as I had no idea that other kids were have much extra tutoring out of school. :shock: I also probably could have managed indies hence there was a good plan B (not the local school I have to say :oops: ).

Good luck for the exam in October! Hope all goes well.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

As someone who is getting their DS to do practice papers every other day Im afraid Sazzle I do not take your view - My DS would get in on merit he is above average at school and mature for his years BUT if everyone else are paying tutors (which I am not by the way all home tutoring) doing practice papers etc etc then this is not putting everyone on a level playing field and therefore I feel my DS would be at a disadvantage come test day hence why he is doing them over and over again.

My DS would not struggle once in the school but getting in is something that I am not going to look back on and wish i had pushed him more all for the sake of 6months of prep - Im afraid some people have terrible comps in their areas as an alternative and this opportunity is too good a chance. Luckily my local comp is not bad but I certainly take the opinion that I want my DS to have a chance of a great school not a mediocre one.

Also to be fair we did argue, he cried and kicked and screamed about it at first, he lacked confidence and some classmates were telling him he wasnt bright enough and I often thought I was being too hard but now a week before the test he is getting mid 80%-90% and his confidence has increased tonnes as he now knows he is "bright enough" and last week he actually thanked me for keeping at him and not letting him give up - he said he would have given up if I had let him (many of his classmates did) but he is now confident about getting in, he has also improved more at school increasing from a 4b to a 5a in 6 months (he is yr5)and his vocab skills have just increased massively. I told him that if he passes the test he can sit back and relax next year and put his feet up while everyone else panics about their SATS :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now