At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janet71

Re: At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to.

Post by janet71 »

Thats interesting - Ive been telling my son to skip out Questions hes not sure of and come back later to them but if thats not the case Im telling him wrong
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think they can go back - but only within the 10 minute section.

Once that 10 minutes is done then he can't go back but it would be reasonable to skip ones he can't quickly do and then go back at say 8 minutes to look at those.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

hermanmunster wrote:I think they can go back - but only within the 10 minute section.

Once that 10 minutes is done then he can't go back but it would be reasonable to skip ones he can't quickly do and then go back at say 8 minutes to look at those.
Ah that makes sense but Ill tell him to listen carefully to the instructions or read the front as hes a shocker for switching off and then realising hes missed something....so much stress (going grey :lol: )
tricky

Post by tricky »

Hi Janet. I feel for you its a nightmare isn't it ? We did every book I could get my hands on . Letts gl bright sparks . The idea being nothing they see is a surprise then. Also reading books ( My Dd likes anything vampire related ) gives them exposure to different words, so I am sure that would help.With regards to the test, they need to be conscious of time and not spend too long on a question they don't know and try to carry on and do it at the end. If there isn't much time they need to guess any they don't know , with five answer choices they have a chance of guessing correctly. Rem ember that if your child is struggling with these difficult words ...you can bet all others will be too ! Pm me if you ever need anything.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

tricky wrote:Hi Janet. I feel for you its a nightmare isn't it ? We did every book I could get my hands on . Letts gl bright sparks . The idea being nothing they see is a surprise then. Also reading books ( My Dd likes anything vampire related ) gives them exposure to different words, so I am sure that would help.With regards to the test, they need to be conscious of time and not spend too long on a question they don't known instead carry on and do it at the end. If there isn't much time they need to guess and try and finish it. If there are five answer choices they have have chance of guessing right ! Remember that if your child is struggling with these difficult words ...you can bet all others will be too ! Pm me if you ever need anything.
thankyou Tricky
Yes my son has never really read much like all boys he loves fact book but novels he found boring - he got onto diary of a wimpy kid at xmas and this kind of opened up a new interest and so he read all them then Big nate now he wants to read (yippee finally) so hes reading hunger games and there are loads of words in there hes never heard of and ones hes learnt this month are cropping up so hes really coming on and he reads to us every night now to get through these words and learns them in the car etc and I must say im impressed at how much hes taken in this past month - but I still worry and dont want to overload him as he retaliates - Im getting all the test papers I can and working through them - told him its for the next 6 mths then Ill get off his back lol but he wants to go to this school so that helps and also someone in his class told him "he wasnt clever enough" which really peeved him off and said "Ill show him" so I may personally thank this kid at school for spurring my DS on lolx
I just kind of panicked when I say the thread re birminghams entrance exam and also the letts papers seem much harder and he wasnt doing as well on them as Bond. I know 6 months is a long time fingers crossed. Thanks for the offer of PM.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't worry to much re reading novels. Perfectly possible to get in and do very well at EGS and get lots of A*s without EVER voluntarily reading a work of fiction. Vocab can come from elsewhere - there are online dictionaries who send word-for-the-day by e-mail (just make sure you get the UK version :lol: ).
janet71

Post by janet71 »

hermanmunster wrote:Don't worry to much re reading novels. Perfectly possible to get in and do very well at EGS and get lots of A*s without EVER voluntarily reading a work of fiction. Vocab can come from elsewhere - there are online dictionaries who send word-for-the-day by e-mail (just make sure you get the UK version :lol: ).
oh yes Im poiniting out stuff to him everyday when we are out and about or on the TV (but my DS is v lazy!) making himread nightly now gives him the time he wants with us anyway as we have a 5yr old who likes to steal our attentions and it makes it routine which he likes - working so far but next week may be a different story - I often wonder if its only my DS who is stubborn, argumentative and lazy...... :lol: (Im sure its not)
tricky

Post by tricky »

Very true. Non fiction just as good I would imagine. But no they dont need to unless they enjoy it. They do forget all the work once its over and are so glad they did it. All they can do is their best though can't they and hope its enough. We tried to do three hrs a week and then for the last couple months before the test an hr a day. It seems a lot but its a small window out of their lives and if they get into the school they have a fair amount of homework I am told. So good preparation for what's ahead !
tricky

Post by tricky »

We did all the bond books too. From the bottom level to the top .
janet71

Post by janet71 »

tricky wrote:We did all the bond books too. From the bottom level to the top .
what do you mean to the top?