At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FluffyD

Re: At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to.

Post by FluffyD »

Thanks for the dates, I had been wondering when they might let us know what they were and EGS website hasn't got them on yet.
X
Vic x
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

I seem to remember that you have to do the familiarisation test (first practice test)in order to sit the 2 actual tests and yes the best scores from the 2 VR and 2 NVR are used for the final score after standardisation....and dont ask me how they work that one out only that the younger you are the more points you gain????..Herman....help.

x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

did someone mention standardisation??

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

You must have one eye on this website and the other on your life! Thank you Herman.
In my Ds 's class the brightest boy who was achieving level 6 at age 10.5 is also the youngest!

x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Gogi wrote:I seem to remember that you have to do the familiarisation test (first practice test)in order to sit the 2 actual tests and yes the best scores from the 2 VR and 2 NVR are used for the final score after standardisation....and dont ask me how they work that one out only that the younger you are the more points you gain????..Herman....help.

x
Are you saying that familiarisation tests have some merit eg if you dont do well you cant sit the real tests? with you saying "in order to sit the 2 actual tests"
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No - I a not sure whether you need to do the familiarisation tests at all - just a good idea to do so, though Gogi suggests that you need to turn up for them anyway to be allowed to take the later ones - that may be right.

It really doesn;t matter how you do in the familiarisation test - they chuck them all away without even looking at them!
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thats what I thought it was just the phrasing Gogi used made me have second thoughts cheers herman.....
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Sorry for confusuing you...the familiarisation test is for the children to do just that and to an extent it is for the LEA to make sure records are correct/children all present and correct/chairs/desks etc. The invigilators take the children through the process nice and easy, they coach them through every stage...get them used to the clock/bell and the format of the test. We are told that the test is not marked and yes Familiarisation scores will not be considered/included in final marks. So yes he could flunk it and you would never know.

Oh and in answer to your origin question i do think that NVR and VR - EGS test is harder purely because our children are unfamiliar with the format but i suppose thats the point? DS certainly found Indie tests easier and passed

x