At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tricky

Re: At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to.

Post by tricky »

Easiest to hardest ! Think they go in age range. Dd had great peasure binning them after the exam !
janet71

Post by janet71 »

tricky wrote:Easiest to hardest ! Think they go in age range. Dd had great peasure binning them after the exam !
oh I see I thought I was missing something lol :lol:
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Hello Janet71,

We too like Tricky started with the Bond assesment papers, DS started nice and easy with the 2nd upto the 5th and he also did the more 2nd, more 3rd and so on...by the time he got to the 5th papers we were showing him how to work against the clock. (this is really important as valuable marks can be lost if you fail to finish the paper). He did the Bond 10 minute tests also. We then started the Multiple choice test papers from the start of the summer holidays and he did GL assesment / Bond /AFN and a few others and all the packs in the range in VR and NVR.

It all sounds very intense but this worked for my DS and you know your child...DS agreed when he would study and what days were purely for play. Our contract was on the fridge door. Certainly in the summer we had lots of days out/treats and pep talks to keep the motivation up and to recharge the batteries.

Believe it or not ths is the 3rd time i have written this because i keep on nodding off and dont click submit the post!

HAve you consdered a tutor?

Hope this helps. Feel free to post/pm if you need any more help

Are you In area or out?

x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thanks gogi we are out of the area about 7-8 miles so if he passes the test feel that he has a good chance as I believe the cut off for the past few years has been around 10 miles. My ds is working well at the moment but doesnt like to be timed and gets really frustrated so leaving that for the mo and just working on his vocab and the exercises and hope it builds his confidence. I considered a tutor when he was arguing with me and not getting on with it but we have got passed that now and hes working well about 3 hrs a week so not sure what a tutor can offer - did you use a tutor?
Gogi - Can you remember what format the test is in - small timed tests or 1 longer test? Shorter timed tests would suit my ds more I think as I can work towards that - WhenI time him doing the bond papers hes fine (he doesnt know) but if he knows there is a time he panics so we'll work on that with shorter times.......
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Hi Janet71,..i think the vr was 50 mins then 5 x 10 minute nvr tests but im not 100% sure, I cant remember!!!! You could ring the school/lEA who would confirm.

x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Gogi wrote:Hi Janet71,..i think the vr was 50 mins then 5 x 10 minute nvr tests but im not 100% sure, I cant remember!!!! You could ring the school/lEA who would confirm.

x
Thanks - the LEA said Icould register his application for the test around Easter so Ill ask them then
many thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

janet71 wrote:
Gogi wrote:Hi Janet71,..i think the vr was 50 mins then 5 x 10 minute nvr tests but im not 100% sure, I cant remember!!!! You could ring the school/lEA who would confirm.

x
Thanks - the LEA said Icould register his application for the test around Easter so Ill ask them then
many thanks

I think that sounds right. Golly we sound laid back here in North Yorks don't we ??! :oops:

They do both tests 3 times on separate days (not consecutive - a few days apart) - 1st day is practice and test papers are discarded, 2nd and 3rd days count and the best VR of the two and the best NVR are the ones that count.

The OOC children do the test either at EGS or for SGHS it is usually in the Town Hall.
There are usually two sessions in the day - morning and afternoon - seems pretty random what you get. DD was happy to do the morning as we lived pretty near (confusing - we lived in catchment but DD was at an OOC school hence took the test with OOC kids - but was allocated as in catchment :? ).
They kindly put DS into the afternoon session as we had a very long journey at that time.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I called LEA harrogate to enter him for the exam and they confirmed it is 1 x 50min VR and 4 x 10 mins NVR over 2 dates 11th & 14th Sept (and a practise date of 7th Sept but no score is given at the end of that to see how you did)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

They don't give any scores for the practice but it is worth going to it anyway - calms lots of the exam nerves and they hit the ground running on the first test date
janet71

Post by janet71 »

hermanmunster wrote:They don't give any scores for the practice but it is worth going to it anyway - calms lots of the exam nerves and they hit the ground running on the first test date
Yes I hope it gets him familiar with it apparently on the 2 days they take the best scores from them as they do both on each day so that will be useful if they come out thinking they did bad they have another chance.....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now