Eek!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyD

Re: Eek!

Post by FluffyD »

Well we went and it was amazing and really gave my DS some zeal back for why we are doing all the prep and work. He even asked me why we hadn't brought some books so that we could work on the train going home! :lol:

Janet71 you have my sympathies RE BGS as I live opposite and have the children hiding from school on my street for clandestine meetings and cig breaks :roll: We are having to build it up a little though as that is our only other option really, (I prefer it to Beckfoot) and I don't want him thinking that if he misses a place at EGS then he will be going to a bad school IYSWIM? DS went for the business thing as well but came home with an award for great financial work with his team so he was quite happy with it.
EGS is by far and away our first choice school, it is hands down above and beyond the kind of school I want my DS to attend. Again last night whilst visiting, the boys were very helpful in guiding us round, showing experiments and work to the boys (we discovered that mt DS and DH have small hands for their heights :lol: ) and the teachers were very welcoming.
We too have a daughter still in primary, just starting rec in Sept, and the Halifax schools are not an option for us either.
These are not fun times and we are expecting such a lot from them at such a tender age though I am sure that like me, if you did not thin that your DS was up for it, you wouldn't have put him through it.

Last night they said that they will try and put boys that are travelling from the same area's in the same house, you never know, if both our DS's get in they could be together???

Vic x
Vic x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

FluffyD wrote:Well we went and it was amazing and really gave my DS some zeal back for why we are doing all the prep and work. He even asked me why we hadn't brought some books so that we could work on the train going home! :lol:

Janet71 you have my sympathies RE BGS as I live opposite and have the children hiding from school on my street for clandestine meetings and cig breaks :roll: We are having to build it up a little though as that is our only other option really, (I prefer it to Beckfoot) and I don't want him thinking that if he misses a place at EGS then he will be going to a bad school IYSWIM? DS went for the business thing as well but came home with an award for great financial work with his team so he was quite happy with it.
EGS is by far and away our first choice school, it is hands down above and beyond the kind of school I want my DS to attend. Again last night whilst visiting, the boys were very helpful in guiding us round, showing experiments and work to the boys (we discovered that mt DS and DH have small hands for their heights :lol: ) and the teachers were very welcoming.
We too have a daughter still in primary, just starting rec in Sept, and the Halifax schools are not an option for us either.
These are not fun times and we are expecting such a lot from them at such a tender age though I am sure that like me, if you did not thin that your DS was up for it, you wouldn't have put him through it.

Last night they said that they will try and put boys that are travelling from the same area's in the same house, you never know, if both our DS's get in they could be together???

Vic x
My son wants to get in and I dread it if he doesnt and I also try to play down BGS incase he has to go, but on the bright side he was just above average in Literacy in Nov (4b) and he is now a 5c so if anything all these words we have been learning and reading etc should set him in good stead if he has to go to BGS and get in the top sets - I hear BG is great for top set kids but anyone avg or below is left and I hear many mums complaining about the lack of homework or pushing from the kids of these sets. Looking at the GCSE results last yr BGS was 73% A-C and Beckfoot 63% so its a better option but like you say EGS stands out by far. I think there are only 2 kids that my DS class going for the test - initially half the class were but they have gradually dropped out after getting board with the tests/learning. It would be useful to have a network of people in the area.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Your DS sounds just like mine! Though his literacy has improved from a 3B at the beginning of the school year to a 5c/b now! He has had such an amazing teacher this year and has matured a lot as well which helps!!!!
His maths has always been his strong suit and he is the same for that too so yes you are right, they will most likely be setted higher at Bingley should the worst happen.
There are only 2 boys sitting at our school too, there may be a few more girls but they are being very cloak and dagger about the whole thing so it is hard to say for sure.
The head said last night that all boys that passed were offered places regardless of distance as in the end they were undersubscribed when it came to numbers that had passed and that the "usual" distance for allocation varies between 11 and 13 miles. You live near me I seem to remember, closer the EGS than me as well I think, so maybe it could be OK should they pass?????????????????????? It's a tough one to call.
Good Luck!
Vic x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

FluffyD wrote:Your DS sounds just like mine! Though his literacy has improved from a 3B at the beginning of the school year to a 5c/b now! He has had such an amazing teacher this year and has matured a lot as well which helps!!!!
His maths has always been his strong suit and he is the same for that too so yes you are right, they will most likely be setted higher at Bingley should the worst happen.
There are only 2 boys sitting at our school too, there may be a few more girls but they are being very cloak and dagger about the whole thing so it is hard to say for sure.
The head said last night that all boys that passed were offered places regardless of distance as in the end they were undersubscribed when it came to numbers that had passed and that the "usual" distance for allocation varies between 11 and 13 miles. You live near me I seem to remember, closer the EGS than me as well I think, so maybe it could be OK should they pass?????????????????????? It's a tough one to call.
Good Luck!
Wow thats good to hear - so just one hurdle to jump (the test) Yes we live in East Morton (the new houses) so we are just on the border of riddlesden - Im sure hearing that was a relief for you are you are sort of near other end if I remember rightly - that will account for why they are opening to Lancashire as they are further the other way
Well fingers crossed
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there have been odd years recently when the school was oversubscribed and then the admissions went about 11-13 miles. The girls tends to be a bit nearer though they can be undersubbed too. Few years back it was just into Ilkley for the girls and Burley for the boys!

It all depends on how many catchment kids are taking the exam - as 28% of them will pass and if it is a low number in catchment then there will be more out of area places available.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

janet71 wrote:Im sure hearing that was a relief for you are you are sort of near other end if I remember rightly
We were but our rental came to an end and we moved, we are next to Crossflatts stn now and 10.2 miles away!!! :shock:
Vic x
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

x[/quote]
I think we are out of the Beckfoot area as Im am on the border is worse than bingley. I did look at NHGS 8 miles away but I can not see any direct bus route and there are no trains so I can not see how that is an option. (I have a younger daughter who still has to be taken to primary) I think Bingley Grammar is basically the best of comp options in the area.[/quote]

Gogi - My DS has covered VR IPS, Bond, GL pack 1 & 2, CPG, Bright sparks pack1 and NVR GL pack 1 & 2, CPG, Bond. Is there any that you would recommend to cover next? I was thinking Walsh or Bright sparks pack2 any thoughts?[/quote]

Hi Janet71
Prepping...well I would advise you to do as many NV and NVR papers as you can from all examining boards, DS did (I nearly put " I did" !!! ) AFN,GL Assessment, NFER…He did them all - i still have them as trophies!

Gogi
x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

cheers Gogi - think Im on the right track. Just ordered Bright sparks 2 so hopefully Ive covered them all
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Didnt do bright sparks but it came highly recomended, but DS was pooped by that stage. we did all the bond books and then the way we did it was we started on the pass papers timed, did a time table (that included pass papers and play days) to complete all the papers upto the end of Aug/Sept test date. GOOD LUCK> Im sure with the prep and lots of time to play he will succeed!
Gogi
x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

He is already doing 2 full papers a week (timed) and working on the scores but hes getting them finished but intending to do it every other day once the holidays start - I have redone some of the test and just hoping that he is good to go on the day - If not can't say we havent tried