Time ticks on.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FluffyD

Time ticks on.....

Post by FluffyD »

I am stunned to suddenly find ourselves with just under 3 weeks until the first familiarisation test.
My dad passed away last week unexpectedly I am really struggling to keep my temper even with my DS (and to be fair, to even get the motivation to keep up the work with him) so I have resorted to paying him £5 for every test completed in time with over 85% and no whinging or crying.
I am not a massive fan of bribery but my brain is fried and this is the only way I can think of to keep him focused at the moment.
Thankfully DS hasn't been too affected by my father passing away so I am hopeful that it won't affect him taking the test though we haven't had the funeral yet and there is still time for it to hit him :cry:
Vic x
nicolajane1971

Re: Time ticks on.....

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Oh Vic, I feel so sorry for you, it's all vile enough with 3 weeks to go without an unexpected death too, no wonder you are on such a short fuse. If bribery is working then run with it, £5 is a small price to pay for 85% in my opinion!
Hopefully you will be able to see a bit more clearly once the funeral is out of the way, things are always very complicated and uncertain until that point.

I'm wishing you and your DS the very best of luck.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Fluffy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. The last few weeks are difficult at the best of times but you shouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Everyone has different methods for dealing with the last few weeks. I cut back on the full papers and tried to keep cruising to the finish. I think less pressure and more confidence boosting will reap rewards. Children are usually very bored by this stage and no matter what inducement you use, they struggle to summon any enthusiasm. Test results slip... tempers fray..

As I said, everyone is different and you'll know what's best for you and DS - just trust your instincts.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, Fluffy..you must feel really churned up at the moment . Thinking of you over the next week or so. I'm sure your DS will do just fine. Look after yourself too x.
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Oh Fluffy so sorry for your sad news. Do what you need to do and what ever feels right for you and DS. By this stage i was throwing papers accross the kitchen in frustration..Its an intense time, perhaps take a week off in the week of the funeral to give you both time...
2 weeks of healthy prep may be more worhwhile that 3 weeks of stressy prep?

Hang in there...thinking about you xx
Gogi.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

So sorry to hear of your father's death, fluffy, my sincere condolences to you.

Your son will cope fine, come the day they step up to the mark.

Be kind to yourself and him, try and have a week without the pressures and then just 'light duties' until the day. It'll be fine.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Oh fluffy how awful - Im so sorry for you - but if bribery works with only a few weeks to go then go for it....Stick in there just get through the next few weeks - Im very anxious also with only a few weeks to go - my dad is going in for a heart bypass on the 3rd Sept a week before the test (They live in manchester) and I don't know how Ill cope if anything goes wrong......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now