Did anyone from Lancashire region take the EGS test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Majik

Re: Did anyone from Lancashire region take the EGS test

Post by Majik »

I dropped my son of for about half 8 at Clitheroe they were taken in at 08:45 for a 9am start and we were told to go back for about 12:15. By the time all the kids were out it was about 12:45ish. I can't see Skipton girls starting afternoon session at half 1 or 2pm unless anybody knows any different?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I was thinking more of the results sharing that goes on in other consortia around the country - same exam- but can opt to share results with more than one school
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Majik wrote:I dropped my son of for about half 8 at Clitheroe they were taken in at 08:45 for a 9am start and we were told to go back for about 12:15. By the time all the kids were out it was about 12:45ish. I can't see Skipton girls starting afternoon session at half 1 or 2pm unless anybody knows any different?
SGHS test was on the morning of 29 September - which I think was the same day and time as CRGS, LRGS, LGGS, Bacup etc. They're all in a consortium, which I think means they used the same paper, so would therefore have been at the same time.

Which makes it amazing that it seems that nobody had the problem of wanting to apply to both - unless there was the option to take one test and have two marks - but the papers were marked in school, which is why they go the results out so quickly compared with NYCC.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hmm - not thought through! suppose not so much someone getting 2 marks but the one mark they get being eligible for more than one school... Will be Gisburn, Barlick, (Settle, Hellifield even? ) - could be someone who misses out on SGHS on distance but gets into Clitheroe on score
Patzie

Post by Patzie »

How do we know "They're all in a consortium"? :?
And which school are in this consortium?
Who produces the tests?
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Patzie wrote:How do we know "They're all in a consortium"? :?
And which school are in this consortium?
Who produces the tests?
Because when SGHS announced they were changing their selection procedures they said they were joining a consortium with LRGS, LGGS, CRGS, Bacup and Rawtenstall.

I think they set the maths paper themselves (that's the only one included in the admissions booklet). They certainly mark them in school, which is presumably how they turned the results round in a fortnight instead of NYCC's six weeks.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

andy from embsay wrote:

Which makes it amazing that it seems that nobody had the problem of wanting to apply to both - unless there was the option to take one test and have two marks - but the papers were marked in school, which is why they go the results out so quickly compared with NYCC.
Late to this I know, but I'll put it here for future readers.
We were in the position of wanting both. When DD1 did the exams, the schools were separate and we could have applied for both on the CAF (if DD1 had passed both, she didn't pass Clitheroe) When it was DD2's turn, (this time) we went to both school's open evening and were told basically "Pick one!" The score is not transferable, you can't arrange to do one another time, and if you are too "sick" for one, and turn up at the other, that won't fly either. So where DD1 had Westholme, Skipton and Clitheroe to have a go for, DD2 realistically only had one shot at a good school. Westholme had already said it was very unlikely that one family would get two foundation bursaries. They only give one a year and they are worth over £70,000 over the 7 years. Unless DD2 had got full marks or something it just wasn't on the cards. We choose Skipton as DD2 preferred it, and I think she will do better at an all girl's, just her personality.

So, that's how it is. You make your choice when deciding which school you want, and do the exam there.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
Amber

Post by Amber »

Gosh Nathair I was only thinking about you the other day as we all followed the story of your DD a few years ago, and I remember the image of your other DD skipping around and singing about her success. Hope all is well with DD1 and glad you have a good school for DD2 as well. :D
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Amber wrote:Gosh Nathair I was only thinking about you the other day as we all followed the story of your DD a few years ago, and I remember the image of your other DD skipping around and singing about her success. Hope all is well with DD1 and glad you have a good school for DD2 as well. :D
Thanks Amber! DD1 was just as happy for DD2 as DD2 was for DD1 :D She texted all her friends, and she knows someone who moved from Westholme to Skipton for A levels as they offered the course she wanted. That friend will be Y13 and said "Let me know when you know what form she'll be in etc, and I'll keep an eye on her :) " I'm a really happy mum tonight, and the stress that's been going for the past four years is finally over (well, about this bit anyway :roll: )
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now