Reallocation 2013 and placements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eviepie123

Reallocation 2013 and placements

Post by eviepie123 »

How's everyone going with placement? Hope you are all getting the school of choice. I'm curious where reallocation is up to this year? Anyone got any news?
yorkshiremum

Re: Reallocation 2013 and placements

Post by yorkshiremum »

for Calderdale they allocated up to rank 336 today, my dd was rank 334 however 4 people passed the exam in December (they couldnt sit it in October due to illness) and have bumped my dd up to rank 338 :-( just missed out on a place. Not sure how many will reallocate this year but we will go on the waiting list.
eviepie123

Post by eviepie123 »

That sounds promising for dd! Fingers crossed for you. Sorry, I meant allocation! Wonder where they will reallocate to then and how this compares to other years. Hope you get what you want. Did you put both GS down?
yorkshiremum

Post by yorkshiremum »

thank you :-) yes we put both grammar schools on the form. Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting, will be interesting to see if any more places become available.
eviepie123

Post by eviepie123 »

yorkshiremum wrote:thank you :-) will be interesting to see if any more places become available.
Oh I'm sure they will! Do you know what rank initial allocation has gone to before? Reallocation has been in the fifties so it should!! Hope so for you.

What's the next stage? Is there a specific next stage? Sorry, our first time through this.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There is usually a bit of movement after allocation day. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)
eviepie123

Post by eviepie123 »

mitasol wrote:There is usually a bit of movement after allocation day. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)
Thank you Mitasol.
Do you happen to know how much movement there has been in previous years and how 334 as a starting allocation compares to other years please ? :)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This year may be different as results were sent out before applications However in previous years it has been reported on the forum as 340s or even 350s in 2009.
Tarquinius

Post by Tarquinius »

Hi,

We received our allocation letter yesterday. We always knew there was a fair chance she may not get first choice (Crossley Heath) as she was 292 in the exam ranking.

Our daughter was allocated her second choice school - which is North Halifax Grammar. We're fairly happy with this - NHGS is a great school although she was distraught, largely on the grounds her best friends are going to CH. CH is also very convenient for us in terms of travel - NH less so.

We're wondering about going for reallocation - can anyone comment on what our chances may be?

I understand this year even those as high as the 250s in the rankings who put CH first did not get in (which surprised me). So we would be some way down the pecking order in reallocation.

Does anyone know whether many drop out of the Calderdale GS admissions at this stage, after allocation? For example are there many families from out of authority who apply to the Calderdale GSs as their 'backup' option - e.g people from North Yorks or Kirklees say, or people who drop out to choose private schools. I'm just trying to assess our chances.

Also, with reallocation, am I right in thinking you can be told almost right up until the day before the start of the new school? And my understanding is that if you're successful under reallocation, you can still choose to refuse and retain the place at your allocated school.

Many Thanks indeed.
eviepie123

Post by eviepie123 »

Hi Tarquinus.

I have no idea but am interested. I hope if you go for reallocation you get it.

If not though, NHGS is a fab school and I'm sure after her initial upset at leaving friends she will settle. My first choice would have been CH (far far far easier logistically) but my DS chose NHGS as first choice. He has recently had a wobble as all his friends who got through are going to CH. we have reassured him that he will make friends as soon as transition day and everyone will be in same position as him.

He had thought a classmate or two who put NHGS as second choice may go with him but they all got first choice. One was in 230's if that helps with figures.

Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now