Halifax 11 plus scores - how are they worked out?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
annie321

Halifax 11 plus scores - how are they worked out?

Post by annie321 »

Does anyone know how they work out the scores for the Halifax 11 plus - I've been told different ways.
One is that they convert the VR score to a mark out of 140 and the maths to a mark out of 70. Does this sound right?
That would make the max score 210 - plus however they standardise for age.
Does anyone have a clue?
Emmalou

Re: Halifax 11 plus scores - how are they worked out?

Post by Emmalou »

I have no clue how the score is worked out I have read up on the standardisation but still not clued up. My daughters tutor said that verbal reasoning is around double the weighting of the maths score if that helps
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

As far as I'm aware the VR is age standardised and worth 140/141 and the Maths is worth half the VR score. The writing component has always been a mystery but may indicate why scores over 210 have been reported in the past.
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi annie.
I agree with mitasol. Regarding the writing component, I was told by numerous people that if you pass on the maths and VR alone, you then are awarded 20 points. I believe this could be true, knowing the score my DD achieved in last year's 11 plus, but who knows?
annie321

Post by annie321 »

Hi panicmum,
Thanks for that. Do you mind me asking what score and rank your ds achieved? 20 marks would certainly make a lot of difference and would explain why it's possible to get a fairly high rank even if you didn't finish the papers - as previous posters have described. (Not that I've been trawling through past posts or anything!)
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi Annie
On my wayout right now,will PM you later on.
annie321

Post by annie321 »

Thanks!
Emmalou

Post by Emmalou »

So is the maximum score 230 (140 verbal reasoning, 70 maths and 20 continuous writing)?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

So is the maximum score 230 (140 verbal reasoning, 70 maths and 20 continuous writing)?
I am confident about the maths and VR scores but I've not seen anything official regarding the writing scores however, it fits with scores reported on the forum. Very few people are going to be burdened with scores over 210. :)
20 marks would certainly make a lot of difference and would explain why it's possible to get a fairly high rank even if you didn't finish the papers
For most people the writing isn't going to be an issue as they won't have their writing marked. It is only relevant in the case of the final 25% of places to be offered. Standardisation is about ranking candidates relative to the test. If a test is easy then the score needed to pass will be very high and if the test is very hard then the score is likely to be lower.

I know it is a really stressful time but results will be back soon. Just hang in there!
captbirdseyepants

Post by captbirdseyepants »

i have a piece of paper in front of me that says score 231.489
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now