If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mitasol

Re: If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Post by mitasol »

There is some general information on preparing for 11+ here and for year 5 here

You have all of year 5 to get ready so take it slowly. Start with the basics -fast times tables and try and extend and develop vocabulary.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Hi everyone, this last couple of weeks has been hectic! I have not really had a chance to get on, I promise I'm not necromancing this thread. :mrgreen:
So we went to the NHGS open evening last night, even though it is still a tad early and the DS and his friend absolutely loved it! Even DW now wants to go back to school so she can attend :? . This has left me absolute to try my best to help my DS achieve this goal, we still have 8 other schools to visit but his mind seems made up already.

Some interesting information for the anyone else looking into NHGS on this forum, after smoozing and then probing a couple of the teachers at the open evening, it came to light one of the main reasons the exam numbers are so high. Although numbers are organically rising because of the popularity and level the school teaches, it is also because a lot of parents from less privileged areas are taking a punt at the exams because the other options nearby are unthinkable :cry:, not only that but after speaking to the teachers you look around the rooms again and some things some of the children are doing make you question their upbringing. :shock:

Although I feel bad for these parents, just trying to do the best by their child, it does fill me with hope that the number of applicants is not as bad as it seems and by providing the right time and resources my DS stands a fair chance. Thank you everyone for your support and advice, as of today I am sifting through the resources you have provided and will start my educational river rapids very soon! Looks like it will be me doing my degree at one end of the table and my DS studying at the other end :roll: . I will endeavour to keep you all updated on our progress :D
Timo

Post by Timo »

Thought i'd give the community an update, we booked in our DS to a tutor in August for assessment and we're happy that the tutor has decided to take him on for mentoring ready for the 11 plus exams.
it's been about 6 weeks into the mentoring and our DS now looks forward to the tutor after school more than anything he does at school! We've been given the top 200 words that have appeared in past verbal reasoning exams and I have turned them into flashcards with the definition and most common synonyms, if anyone would like me to email a copy, just drop me a message or post here.

So there you have it, we are going to continue with the tutor and additional work at home and see how we do. Our DS is feeling confident, enjoys the work and is focused on achieving his goal. I'll update you again in a few weeks time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now