Is Kirkby Stephen Grammar not a selective grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Is Kirkby Stephen Grammar not a selective grammar?

Post by Yamin151 »

THanks.

Site not clear, says admission is comprehensive. Property details have it as a grammar!
hermanmunster

Re: Is Kirkby Stephen Grammar not a selective grammar?

Post by hermanmunster »

think the only selective one near there is QE Penrith.

Few comprehensive schools in Yorkshire with Grammar in the name Prince Henry's, Ilkley, Harrogate, Tadcaster.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

OK thanks
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

A lot of schools still have the title 'grammar' as they used to be 'proper' grammar schools. EG: Harrogate Grammar School. However, when they were culled, a lot of them (if not all) chose to keep the word grammar in their name. So, parent beware, always (if you want a selective school) check it out. Otherwise it doesn't really matter what it's called.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

It was my once monthly 'escape it all' cruise of rightmove!!
Can't possibly do it but did have a little frisson when found lovely middle of nowhere house we could afford with grammar school in the details. Good job I checked before I rang the school about in year admissions LOL!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yep those houses up in the Dales are exceedingly tempting, just 18 months to go for Dd to finish school then we can escape. Luckily OH works from home, so all we need is good broadband, if such a thing is a possibility in such a remote spot.

Have you checked out the achools in Skipton and Clitheroe? You may get lucky and find a house close enough to get into one of them?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Don't tempt me Snowdrops!!

How lovely that you can more or less live anywhere - and how tempting! Will you make the jump do you think? Are you already northwards?

No, we are tied (happily) down here - I couldn't do it to the boys after all the decisions re schools and the hard work to get in.

However, I wish we had a bigger garden and those Dales offer so much space.............................
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I always wanted to move to the far West coast of Wales for similar reasons. Miles and miles from any schools though so was never going to happen once we had children. Now I'm so entrenched in suburbia I don't think I could ever move away!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We are waiting for Miss Tinkers to finish school, then hopefully retiring early to North Yorkshire somewhere. Mr Tinkers has really taken to the place. (And Im originally from West Yorkshire) It's just a case of where exactly as we have been to various places and liked them all.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Is North Yorkshire set to become the new Dordogne????

This is actually a promising thread as clearly I am not the only one who has escape dreams! Other than the typical desert island or Rio with Johnny Depp (or is that just me??)- where would anyone else escape to? All for fun of course, Mr Yamin quite safe, I'm not jumping ship!

:D :D