Mock test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chick

Mock test

Post by chick »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. My child will be sitting the Calderdale 11 plus this year and is having tutoring with an independent tutor who does not hold a mock test of their own. I feel a mock test would be useful for my child to experience test conditions and concentrating for a longer period than is usual (!), and I feel it will be useful to me too to see how effective the tutoring has been and help to identify any screaming gaps I can work on before its too late!
I have googled mock tests for the area and a few have come up. I was hoping for some advice really about which test to go for based on others past experiences. And also, suggestions about how else I can identify if the tutoring is meeting my child's needs, apart from them sitting a mock test? Could I use some of the 11 plus papers from the recommended materials list at home?
Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
mitasol

Re: Mock test

Post by mitasol »

Hi Chick,

Welcome to the forum.

If anyone has a recommendation they can send you a PM.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
crazimum

Post by crazimum »

Hi chick, I have started using some of the recommended papers from here at home so I can see how ds is getting on and highlight any gaps to his tutor.
Good luck with your preparation it's a daunting prospect and seems to be coming around too soon for my liking! X
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So what are you paying tutors for if you have to find out what the gaps are and let your tutor know?

Why would your tutor not be able to find out the gaps in the knowledge and act on them? What is the time with the tutor spent on? I am curious to know.

There are lots of organisations that run Mock tests. Try typing Mock tests and the name of the nearest big town and I am sure something will come up. DG
crazimum

Post by crazimum »

Hi the tutor does identify things ds needs to work on or finds harder etc and goes over them but I also let her know of any gaps I notice when he's doing practice papers at home too.
I have an excellent relationship with the tutor and we work together.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now