Calderdale Results!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bigbirdcw

Re: Calderdale Results!

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Surprises me that heck are taking extra, my daughter informs me that they are already struggling to get everybody through in time at lunchtimes. That with 2 years of 150/60 ish and 3 years of 180. Think that 210 will take it over the top.
Jynx

Post by Jynx »

The Heck headmaster said that the school was changing the way that A level classes are taught and this meant that there was extra space for another year 7 form.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

That won't solve the dining hall issue as the 6th formers don't tend to use it! Perhaps they will be changing that as well. I don't think there will be a problem with classroom availability, but will make the corridors very busy.

It is a very small campus and the 6th form takes up large proportion of the school comparatively.

But as you say good news for all those who achieved the standard!

Although strictly speaking they don't have a cut off score (unless things have changed this year). They just normally award passes to the top x ranked students making allowances for those who will take places at the Calderdale schools and independents to enable them to fill PAN. Out of the top x the students meeting the admission criteria 1-4 are given places first and then the rest on rank alone. For example last year for a PAN of 180 they awarded approximately 230 passes, roughly the top 30% of those who sat the test.

It may be good news for me too, if they continue with 7 form entry, as my DD3 will be sitting it in 3 years time.
Busymumofthree

Post by Busymumofthree »

Hi, does anyone know when the test is in December? I was wondering at what stage we can check for any changes in rankings. Also has the changes to the Heckmondwike intake been confirmed? The Heckmondwike admissions page says the PAN is 180 which is the same as the year before?

Thanks
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

The Heckmondwike PAN on the website can be misleading. My DD1 started the year they changed to 180, the website still said 150 even after she'd started. However I don't know whether anything formal has been announced.
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi

I have spoken to Calderdale Admissions.

14 children took the test and 6 must have passed as my son has moved down 6 places.

Re Heckmondwike - i think I read on a previous post that its a decision for the governors and I suspect they will wait and see how many children put it as first choice. If a significant number over 180 don't put it as first choice then I don't suppose there will be a need to increase PAN - but this is just my thought process- you'd have to ring the school for certainty.
don1976

Post by don1976 »

Hi Twinsmum,

When you say 'passed' are you classing this as the top 360 places or top 500?
My daughter was originally ranked at 381.

Out of interest, what was your son's original ranking?

I still stand by my opinion that having the 2nd exam date so much later than the original exam isn't especially fair. I'm sure there are unscrupulous doctors who would be willing to write doctors notes for people to give them the rain check to take the exam.

I'm quite sure any of our kids would have performed better if they hadn't have had to queue outside in the cold for goodness knows how long before taking the exam.
With only a dozen or so kids in the 2nd exam where they can walk straight in without having to queue endlessly, that's a much more relaxed environment in which to take an exam, and that's without taking into consideration the extra 2 months revision/tutoring.

Where else in academia are you able to take an exam 2 months later if you're ill for the original?
Busymumofthree

Post by Busymumofthree »

Calderdale have confirmed that my childs rank has also moved by six places. I don't think an extra 2 months would have made much difference for us apart from prolonging the stress which we wouldn't have wanted to do however knowing that she has moved down six places does make me feel unhappy.
Busymumofthree

Post by Busymumofthree »

I contacted Heckmondwike before Christmas about their PAN but unfortunately they didn't get back to me.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Heckmondwike is definitely 210 as mentioned in their latest job adverts. The school has funding for a new 6th form centre so I guess space will be freed up for the extra intake in future years. Though no idea where they are going to put the new 6th form centre!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now