Calderdale Results!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jynx

Re: Calderdale Results!

Post by Jynx »

Good luck to you and your ds HEBMUM. We will be putting CH as first choice ( I think!) - ds is at 239. It's the easiest journey for us too - we're in Huddersfield. Ds had decided that he wanted Heckmondwike which he has also achieved the standard for, but he doesn't fall into the qualifying criteria so no guarantees there. The very long school day with 2 buses makes me think he'd be better at CH - I don't want to talk him out of a place he had set his heart on but the more we discuss it the more tangled we get.
Ds is at a tiny school so only 1 other child sat the entrance exams - it's hard to find anyone to talk to about it because unless you're in or have been through the process it's all a bit 'clear as mud!'
Last edited by Jynx on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don1976

Post by don1976 »

Valsad wrote:Is there a way of finding out how many children are sitting for supplementary test in December and also at present how many children upto rank 500 falls under category [a] and .

I know few children who sat this test also reached standard for Heckmondwike Grammar and couple of them are going for Heckmondwike, hope this will compensate for any downfall in the final rank order after December test...

According to the info on the NHGS website, 1.29% of students in the school in 2013-14 were eligible for pupil premium, and 0.12% of students were looked after.

So from approx 1100 students at NHGS this equates to approx 15 students falling in categories a or b.
In comparison, seeing as approx 1100 kids sat the test this year, you'd think there would be a similar number falling into the a and b categories, so probably no more than 10 children in the top 500.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

If you are still considering Heckmondwike you can ring them and they will give an indication of whether the score achieved will gain him a place. They do get the scores and rank, even though they do not publish them.

I asked three years ago with my eldest and they were able to say that she'd definitely get a place (we live in Leeds and like you do not fall into any of the criteria so had to rely on rank alone)
Hebmum

Post by Hebmum »

Jynx wrote:Good luck to you and your ds HEBMUM. We will be putting CH as first choice ( I think!) - ds is at 239. It's the easiest journey for us too - we're in Huddersfield. Ds had decided that he wanted Heckmondwike which he has also achieved the standard for, but he doesn't fall into the qualifying criteria so no guarantees there. The very long school day with 2 buses makes me think he'd be better at CH - I don't want to talk him out of a place he had set his heart on but the more we discuss it the more tangled we get.
Ds is at a tiny school so only 1 other child sat the entrance exams - it's hard to find anyone to talk to about it because unless you're in or have been through the process it's all a bit 'clear as mud!'
It's difficult to figure out - more so for you and your ds with the bus/qualifying criteria issues. I was the only one to take the 11+ from my school when I was 10, and went to a GS out of catchment area (bus and train ride - or a car ride there when I could cadge one!). I thought I missed out a little on making friends local to me - but I don't think that will be the case for my ds as he's in the local scouts, and I think he'll make good friends from all over. Also, there are at least 4 schools the kids from his primary school will be going to - where as in my youth practically everyone went to the same local comp school except me! I'm still glad I took the opportunity though.

I hope it works out for you and your ds - good luck!
Busymumofthree

Post by Busymumofthree »

If your ds wants Heckmondwike then you wouldn't miss out if you put Heckmondwike first and CH second surely as they are treated as 'equal.' You know that your ds has a good enough ranking to get into CH, so if you didn't get your first preference of Heckmondwike then you would get your second preference of CH. Am I correct in my thinking? If so then I would put your childs first preference first.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You are absolutely correct Busymum.

All your preference are treated equally and all the school knows is that you have requested a place. They compile the lists according to the oversubscription criteria. So those that best meet the criteria are at the top of the list. The local authority will then use that information to offer places. Where a child is eligible for a place at only one of the preferred schools, that school will be allocated to the child. Where a child is eligible for a place at more than one of the preferred schools, they will be allocated a place at whichever of these is the higher ranked preference on their application

Place the schools in your true order of preference.
Jynx

Post by Jynx »

Many thanks for your comments and advice. I think I'll speak to Heck and see what information they're prepared to give me.
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi

Just received the following email from Calderdale Admissions:

"As far as we are aware, there will be no more than 15 children sitting the supplementary test in December, this historically impacts only 1 or 2 places.

On offer day, we allocated to rank 393 in 2016 and 390 in 2015 at NHGS.

Additional places were allocated on reallocation (from the waiting list)."

Looking at previous threads, in 2016 reallocation reached 399.

There are also another 25 places this year. We are at 403 but holding out a sliver of hope..(based on random number crunching on my part DH) Not saying anything to DS at this stage.

Please note my DH thinks I am insane to hold out any hope....but I never claimed to be sane.... :D
Jynx

Post by Jynx »

I rang Heck Grammar this morning and spoke to the headmaster. He told me that due to the number of children that achieved the required standard in the entry test that the governors had ok'd taking an extra form (30 places) into the school. This though depends on enough of those children specifying the school on their application.
So, potentially there may be more children going to Heck Grammar therefore moving the rank that will be accepted to the Halifax schools higher?
Busymumofthree

Post by Busymumofthree »

Wow that's brilliant news for those who reached the standard in the Heckmondwike test!!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now