Comprehension... language and structure question examples?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Debradee

Comprehension... language and structure question examples?

Post by Debradee »

Can anyone recommend a particular resource or links to appropriate 11+ comprehensions, which include the challenging language and structure questions which are in the NHGS/Crossley Heath exam? I've bought some bond books and another comp bk, but neither really include the long questions that look at language features and structure.
Many thanks :D
Daogroupie

Re: Comprehension... language and structure question example

Post by Daogroupie »

Use past papers. Look at the ones on the Habs boys and Manchester Grammar websites.

Also DAO have a set they sell through the post. DG
Debradee

Post by Debradee »

Thank you for your response. I've taken a look at the Habs Boys specimen papers... definitely helpful practice, thank you. However, they still don't really have the lengthy weighty mark questions on analysis of language features for specific effects and structural features that imo are very advanced for KS3 and verging on what is expected of GCSE candidates (I'm quite astounded by the current expectations!) I'll research DAO tomorrow. Thanks again.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Can you cut and paste some of these questions or point me to a sample paper so I can see what you are talking about? Then I can recommend accordingly Thanks DG
Debradee

Post by Debradee »

Thank you!
This is a link to the sample English paper. It's questions 2 and 3b which are the language/structure questions.
http://www.crossleyheath.org.uk/wp-cont ... lish-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When you look at the mark scheme, you get an idea of the extent to which the student needs to both identify the features and analyse their effect. I think the structure question is particularly hard.
My DD's tutor doesn't introduce these questions until the last two months (nearly there!) as she feels strongly that they are GCSE standard questions she's complained to the grammar schools that she thinks it's an inappropriate stretch. She's been tutoring successfully for over twenty years, so she certainly knows her stuff, but as my daughter has a pre-test next week, she needs to be able to tackle them now.
Very kind of you to look at these.
Walthams

Post by Walthams »

I recently stumbled upon bbc gcse website which contained fairly good explanationson how to approach the language analysis questions together with some sample questions (and most importantly answers). It is quite despiriting to see that the questions expected to be tackled by our poor 10 year olds are in a gcse paper! Although my guess would be that the level of depth and sophistication of the answer required would be different from a 10 year old and a gcse pupil...

How is your dc tackling the comprehensions? I find my own dc crumbles on questions which require understanding of character's reasons for behaving a certain way or analysing what their behaviour shows about their opinion on something/their attitude or their personality. A 10 year old's understanding of implicit meanings can be quite unexpected, if not hilarious at times... Any ideas how to improve her understanding of deeper motives behind character's actions, e.g. how to guess when a character is being ironic?
Last edited by Walthams on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debradee

Post by Debradee »

Yes, I have looked at the GCSE bitesize section on language and structure, which was useful, but like you say, the answers expected from a 10 yr old will surely be far more naive. It's sad really that literature is being broken down to technical terms at such a young age, but we/they have to just deal with it I suppose.
Re, irony etc, the only way I can really think of improving their 'detection' skills is for them to have been exposed to plenty of examples and perhaps get them to try and use such 'literary devices' in their own writing, particularly if they enjoy writing. My Dd is usually great at the story writing section, but pretty appalling when it comes to deeper analysis of the comprehension. Like you say, the 10 yr old's inference interpretation can be pretty hilarious, almost prize worthy!
My dd had a pre-test yesterday and came out joyfully exclaiming that she had identified a 'hyperbole', only to realise on discussion that when she had actually used the incorrect term. The poor love's little face... it's hard at this age.
Wishing your dd luck. :D