Ripon Grammar Scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aquilegia

Ripon Grammar Scoring

Post by aquilegia »

Hi - I am confused about how the scoring system works. The test information says that both VR and NVR tests consist of 80 questions. This would suggest that the whole thing is out of 160 marks but cut off point information provided gives figures of around 210 as a typical cut off. How are these tests scored as it would be useful to know what proportion of correct answers children need to get to be around the pass mark. Hope someone can help. Thanks :-).
scary mum

Re: Ripon Grammar Scoring

Post by scary mum »

I'm not from your area, but it will be a standardised score, do it is not a mark "out of" anything. There is an explanation of standardised scores here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bit of a recent discussion about Ripon scores here :

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 24&t=51227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aquilegia

Post by aquilegia »

Ok thanks for that - helpful info. I would still like to know roughly what percentage of questions my DS needs to be getting right to end up at or above the average passmark. I know it can only be a rough estimate but just would like something to go on... Can anyone help?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What you need, then, is to know both raw scores and corresponding standardised scores, preferably over a few years. Our local consortium gives both, but a lot of places only give the standardised score and so that is all that people will be able to tell you, unfortunately, if this is the case with the school in question.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

Not in your area, but Lincs.

Lincs tests are GL assessment VR and NVR. Dc did these last year, and passed and obtained a place at Grammar School. Local school wanted top 25% ability of local children.

We were told it used to be 75% , but now looking at probably 80% and above. We were told the higher the better, although school doesn't go on top scores, just if you get standardised score of 220 or over, if in catchment, and go to local schools, siblings etc.

Dc was scoring on average high 80's when doing practice tests.

But like other's have mentioned, it all depends on how hard the tests are, and how all the other children do, who are sitting the exams, at the same time as your child.

I can't tell you what score dc got, as the school they are attending, do not give the scores out. (So when they get to the school,children don't start discussing scores and comparing themselves to others).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now