Calderdale exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Thewaitinggame

Calderdale exam

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Any comments on the Crossley/ NHGS exam today? My son thought the comp was weird and the non fiction question uninspiring. Unfortunately stories aren’t his strong point.
Starmum

The waiting game... calderdale

Post by Starmum »

The waiting game... Calderdale

How did everyone's DD / DS find the test? quite nervous as my DS found the maths tough and guessed a few at the end. Really don't know what to expect.
mitasol

Re: Calderdale exam feedback

Post by mitasol »

Welcome :)

Unfortunately it is not permitted to discuss the contents of the test. Remember that there may well be sessions for late sitters [and special arrangements for children moving into the area after all the scheduled sittings].
As a responsible forum we will not allow anything to be posted that might prejudice the integrity of the test.

I've merged your posts. At least you won't have to wait too long for the results. Good luck.
Noreen

Re: Calderdale exam

Post by Noreen »

Hi
My son also sat test on Saturday. He missed 5 questions on Maths! So am very worried too.
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Thanks for your posts. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one on tenterhooks. Ds did ok in a Calderdale mock but he was caught off guard in the real exam. Please do hang around for moral support. It is my first time going through all this! :)
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

I suppose if everyone felt the same it levels the playing field somewhat (I'm a glass half full/silver lining kind of optimist).

My DS is sitting next year so I am just lurking at the moment.

Can I ask if you did any tutoring either at home or with a tutor and your recommendations/thoughts.

I hope the next 2 weeks aren't too tortuous and you get positive outcomes

Regards

mum-of-two
mum-of-two
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Yes it's definitely nice to talk to somebody in same situation. My second time have a DS in year 10 NH Grammer.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Did both tutoring and home. English comprehension needs to be at a very high level. As the test is verging on Gcse English!!
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Thanks for heads up Noreen.

Next year will be first child going through the process. Luckily Comprehension is a strong point (although creative writing is weakest)! We start tutoring this month so will be interesting to get the tutors view on his likelihood of success!
mum-of-two
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

My DS had a tutor from Easter Y4 but the pressure only started in January Y5. There was also a lot of homework. My advice would be to build vocabulary from early on as it’s not easy to include this in targeted practice. I agree with Noreen that the comprehension is close to GCSE level. The maths and English work is never wasted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now