Heckmondwike Grammar 2018 exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

Re: Heckmondwike Grammar 2018 exam

Post by mitasol »

I believe passing the test indicates top 10% fitness ability in the UK, rather than them taking the top 10% of entrants, and therefore they could have any number of students pass
The admissions policy indicates that a maximum of 18 qualified children (10% of 180) can be a offered places via sports and music criteria.

https://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/content/u ... -Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Children who have a proven high level (top 10% for their age) of Physical
Fitness/Agility (and so indicating a potential for a high level of aptitude in sport3) and/or Music4. The percentage of children offered a place under these criteria together shall not exceed 10% of the total number of offers made. If more than 10% of the cohort meets these criteria together places will be offered to those children scoring highest on the entrance exam.
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

Thanks for this, I'd missed that bit.

So, if I understand it correctly, if there are =< 18 PT/Music passers then they all get a place. If > 18 pass, then the 18 highest scoring PT/Music cohorts get the automatic places.

The remainder then join the rest and are allocated places based on the highest exam scores.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Technically there are no automatic sports/music places. Places are filled in order so categories 1-5 take priority over any sports/music places. However as there are usually places left after cat 1-5 then I agree with your assessment.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Heckmondwike have posted on their website that the results will now not be out until the 20th Oct due to a large number of students sitting the exam. Not sure when they will squeeze in the fitness test to ensure everyone has an idea before the CAF has to be submitted.

Oh the uncertainty of it all....
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

mum-of-two wrote:Heckmondwike have posted on their website that the results will now not be out until the 20th Oct due to a large number of students sitting the exam. Not sure when they will squeeze in the fitness test to ensure everyone has an idea before the CAF has to be submitted.

Oh the uncertainty of it all....
Looks like the fitness test will be on Monday 15th October.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Yes Eaglesrest, we got the email last night. Just waiting on the letter to land.

I do have my doubts about the objective nature of a fitness test. If wont take into account physical differences and whether they will have boys ranking separate to girls? Also the types of sport that each child does will be very different. Some will be super flexible (through dance or gymnastics), others will be strong, but not necessarily flexible or fast (rugby or swimming). All of them will be fit and have good cardio but I cant help feel it will be subjective!

Maybe the letter will have more detail...
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

Yes and it's also puzzling as to how the results will be used, as there may be a dozens of kids who also have the required music certification. How many will be allocated to music and how many fitness? There are only 18 preference spots in total so maybe it will be 50/50, unless they don't get enough meeting the criteria in either category.

I've told our DD to not worry about passing and just go along for some fun. She's a synchro swimmer and I'm guessing that skillset won't come up on the test ;)
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

I agree 18 across music and fitness is not very many and I am sure there will be more than 18 who are deemed to be of the required level in either or both!

I also wonder what will happen to those who are already in the top 180 and also have music or fitness. Will that count as one of the 18 or are they looking at 18 of those below the magic cut-off to bump them over?

I'm sure the powers that be will have a plan...!

Yes I've told my DS to just enjoy it - he's a swimmer not a runner so again not sure how he'll fair against footballers, runners, etc!
mum-of-two
eaglesrest

Post by eaglesrest »

I've just received the letter. Looks like there's a lot of running - bleep test, sprint test and a slalom run.

On the plus side it looks like we'll find out if they passed the exam by the 12th rather than the 20th, as only eligible students will be invited to do the fitness test.

I'm a swimmer too - I train at John Charles.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Our letter hasn't arrived yet so hopefully will be with us Monday morning or it'll be a frantic call to the school.

My younger DD is a synchro swimmer too - at Halifax. I have a permanent whiff of chlorine about me...lol.
mum-of-two
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now